Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default video card?

I'm converting an older Dell E521 AMD K8 machine from XP to Gentoo. I
intend to use it with an HDHomerun ATSC tuner, for recording and
playback. I don't know if it supports AGP, but I am including...
<*> AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
<*> NVIDIA nForce/nForce2 chipset support
...in the kernel.

I notice there are both "nv" and "nvidia" drivers available. Which
one do I use? Also, are there any special settings in xorg.conf to
watch for?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Alex Schuster

Walter Dnes writes:

> I'm converting an older Dell E521 AMD K8 machine from XP to Gentoo.
> I intend to use it with an HDHomerun ATSC tuner, for recording and
> playback. I don't know if it supports AGP, but I am including... <*>
> AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
> <*> NVIDIA nForce/nForce2 chipset support
> ...in the kernel.
>
> I notice there are both "nv" and "nvidia" drivers available. Which
> one do I use? Also, are there any special settings in xorg.conf to
> watch for?

Have a look at the Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml

Wonko