Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Rudmer van Dijk

Default Howto get rid of USE qt3support

Hi,

there is a new qt and kde available, but it still has the annoying USE flag
qt3support... is there a way to get rid of it? a lot of kde packages are
complaining about qt3support and I don't want it.

qt3 left my system a couple of years ago!
so this is starting to get really annoying 8-(

Rudmer

Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Rudmer van Dijk
<rudmer.van.dijk@casema.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is a new qt and kde available, but it still has the annoying USE flag
> qt3support... is there a way to get rid of it? a lot of kde packages are
> complaining about qt3support and I don't want it.
>
> qt3 left my system a couple of years ago!
> so this is starting to get really annoying 8-(

Hi,

I think qt3support enables Qt3-compatible APIs in Qt4, but I don't
believe it causes you to pull in any actual Qt3 packages. I think it
is mainly to ease transition from Qt3 API to Qt4 API for porters. (I
don't think Qt3 is even in portage anymore)

Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

there is a new qt and kde available, but it still has the annoying USE flag
qt3support... is there a way to get rid of it? a lot of kde packages are
complaining about qt3support and I don't want it.

qt3 left my system a couple of years ago!
so this is starting to get really annoying 8-(

What Paul said. qt3support is needed by some Qt4 programs and it's not
optional. If a program needs it, there's no way around it.

But it's nothing you should be concerned about; qt3support is part of
Qt4 itself.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Rudmer van Dijk

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 06/09/2010 11:27 PM, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is a new qt and kde available, but it still has the annoying USE
> > flag qt3support... is there a way to get rid of it? a lot of kde
> > packages are complaining about qt3support and I don't want it.
> >
> > qt3 left my system a couple of years ago!
> > so this is starting to get really annoying 8-(
>
> What Paul said. qt3support is needed by some Qt4 programs and it's not
> optional. If a program needs it, there's no way around it.
>
> But it's nothing you should be concerned about; qt3support is part of
> Qt4 itself.

ok, thanks.
it's just that it sounds so old and I'm running ~amd64...
but since you have no control yourself why not de-USE it or make it a forced
USE?

Rudmer

Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

there is a new qt and kde available, but it still has the annoying USE
flag qt3support... is there a way to get rid of it? a lot of kde
packages are complaining about qt3support and I don't want it.

qt3 left my system a couple of years ago!
so this is starting to get really annoying 8-(

What Paul said. qt3support is needed by some Qt4 programs and it's not
optional. If a program needs it, there's no way around it.

But it's nothing you should be concerned about; qt3support is part of
Qt4 itself.

ok, thanks.
it's just that it sounds so old and I'm running ~amd64...
but since you have no control yourself why not de-USE it or make it a forced
USE?

I'm not sure. My guess is that it's needed in order to trigger a
rebuild and that it's not enough for a package to depend on
x11-libs/qt-qt3support; the other qt-* libs must be rebuild. I think :P