Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Default OT: DVD-"Container" ?

Hi,

I am using k3b to burn dvds/cds.
As most programs of this kind, k3b can /copy/ but not
/move/ data to a DVD.
Therefore, when trying to find tose files, which exactly
sum up to the size of a DVD (by the way: I know DVD-
sizes from a little below 4.3 GB to over 4.7GB...what is
the truth?) I end up with a selected file here and another
one there. After the DVD is finished it is --hrmm-- not
efficient to find those in the related directories to
remove them after a successful copy.
Now I am looking of something like a "virtual DVD" to
which I can /move/ and move back files. The "DVD"
should report "no space left on device" exactly at
the same point when a "real DVD" is filled.

I thought of one extra partition of the same size a DVD
but since the filesystems will occupy different amount
of space...

On the other hand: A iso-image-file on the harddisk would
be nice, but that filesystem isn't made for moving files
back and forth...

Any ideas to solve this???

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
best regards,
mcc

Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 19:26:57 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Therefore, when trying to find tose files, which exactly
> sum up to the size of a DVD (by the way: I know DVD-
> sizes from a little below 4.3 GB to over 4.7GB...

DVDs are 4.7GB or 4.3GiB.

> what is
> the truth?) I end up with a selected file here and another
> one there. After the DVD is finished it is --hrmm-- not
> efficient to find those in the related directories to
> remove them after a successful copy.

Do you have the same directory structure on the DVD? If so, the output
of ls could be used to find and remove the source files.

--
Neil Bothwick

Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [10-06-08 20:32]:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 19:26:57 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > Therefore, when trying to find tose files, which exactly
> > sum up to the size of a DVD (by the way: I know DVD-
> > sizes from a little below 4.3 GB to over 4.7GB...
>
> DVDs are 4.7GB or 4.3GiB.
>
> > what is
> > the truth?) I end up with a selected file here and another
> > one there. After the DVD is finished it is --hrmm-- not
> > efficient to find those in the related directories to
> > remove them after a successful copy.
>
> Do you have the same directory structure on the DVD? If so, the output
> of ls could be used to find and remove the source files.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Hi Neil,

thanks fro your reply!

...may be I have used my brain today for too long and
more sleep than hacking,but.... 8)

4.3*1024 = 4403.2 = 4.403

This would give me 1032 times "no space left on device"

No. the directory strukture can be totally different or slightly
different and may be some filenames will be changed.

I really need something. to which and from where I can move files
until "it" has "no space left on device"...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 20:41:52 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> ...may be I have used my brain today for too long and
> more sleep than hacking,but.... 8)
>
> 4.3*1024 = 4403.2 = 4.403

Try 4.3*1024*1024*1024

--
Neil Bothwick

"I think not," said Descartes, and promptly disappeared.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 8 Jun, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using k3b to burn dvds/cds.
> As most programs of this kind, k3b can /copy/ but not
> /move/ data to a DVD.
> Therefore, when trying to find tose files, which exactly
> sum up to the size of a DVD (by the way: I know DVD-
> sizes from a little below 4.3 GB to over 4.7GB...what is
> the truth?) I end up with a selected file here and another
> one there. After the DVD is finished it is --hrmm-- not
> efficient to find those in the related directories to
> remove them after a successful copy.
> Now I am looking of something like a "virtual DVD" to
> which I can /move/ and move back files. The "DVD"
> should report "no space left on device" exactly at
> the same point when a "real DVD" is filled.
>
> I thought of one extra partition of the same size a DVD
> but since the filesystems will occupy different amount
> of space...
>
> On the other hand: A iso-image-file on the harddisk would
> be nice, but that filesystem isn't made for moving files
> back and forth...
>
> Any ideas to solve this???

Different idea: have a look at
app-cdr/gaffitter
It approximates the so-called knapsack problem of optimal packing.
You can then use this information to burn and afterwards delete the
files.
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 06-09-2010, 03:49 PM

Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> [10-06-09 17:14]:
> On 8 Jun, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using k3b to burn dvds/cds.
> > As most programs of this kind, k3b can /copy/ but not
> > /move/ data to a DVD.
> > Therefore, when trying to find tose files, which exactly
> > sum up to the size of a DVD (by the way: I know DVD-
> > sizes from a little below 4.3 GB to over 4.7GB...what is
> > the truth?) I end up with a selected file here and another
> > one there. After the DVD is finished it is --hrmm-- not
> > efficient to find those in the related directories to
> > remove them after a successful copy.
> > Now I am looking of something like a "virtual DVD" to
> > which I can /move/ and move back files. The "DVD"
> > should report "no space left on device" exactly at
> > the same point when a "real DVD" is filled.
> >
> > I thought of one extra partition of the same size a DVD
> > but since the filesystems will occupy different amount
> > of space...
> >
> > On the other hand: A iso-image-file on the harddisk would
> > be nice, but that filesystem isn't made for moving files
> > back and forth...
> >
> > Any ideas to solve this???
>
> Different idea: have a look at
> app-cdr/gaffitter
> It approximates the so-called knapsack problem of optimal packing.
> You can then use this information to burn and afterwards delete the
> files.
> Helmut.
>
> --
> Helmut Jarausch
>
> Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
> RWTH - Aachen University
> D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Hi Helmut,

sounds interesting, but seems the task to find the
files afterwards for deletion remains.
A "move" into a "container" would much more simpler
and straight forward.
Beside that: The knapsack problem is very interesting
and I will check the application regardless whether it
will help me burning dvds/cdroms or not

Best regards,
mcc

Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:49:13 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> sounds interesting, but seems the task to find the
> files afterwards for deletion remains.
> A "move" into a "container" would much more simpler
> and straight forward.

ISTR mkisofs has an option to report the size of the filesystem is will
create without actually creating it, which is much faster. So you could
copy the files to a temporary directory and use mkisofs instead of du/df
to check how much space is left, then delete the contents of the
directory when you have burned the DVD.

--
Neil Bothwick

EMail - garbage at the speed of light.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Sebastian Beßler

Am 08.06.2010 19:26, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:

> On the other hand: A iso-image-file on the harddisk would
> be nice, but that filesystem isn't made for moving files
> back and forth...

You could use udf both for the image-file and the dvd.

Greetings

Sebastian