Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Shoka

Default Move eth1 back to eth0

Hello folks,

I have a gentoo installation as a guest oks running inside sun
virtualbox. After doing a proper clone, everything seems to work fine,
except the network interface.

I noticed that, after cloning, the eth0 interface has been renamed to
eth1 inside the cloned vm.

I do not why this happened. Of course, the new vm clone image has
another mac address for the nic. eth0 is not used inside the cloned vm.

Is there a way to explicitly define the nic names in a way that I can
make sure, that a certain nic (or mac address) is always assigned the
name eth0? I heard, that something can be done using udev rules, but is
this the intended way? How could this be done?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,
André

Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:18:09 +0200, Shoka wrote:

> I noticed that, after cloning, the eth0 interface has been renamed to
> eth1 inside the cloned vm.
>
> I do not why this happened. Of course, the new vm clone image has
> another mac address for the nic. eth0 is not used inside the cloned vm.

Udev does this, to give each interface a consistent name. Since eth0 was
already in use by the old MAC address, this one gets eth1.
Delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot to start
again at eth0.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error #56: Operator fell asleep while waiting.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Shoka

On 08.06.2010 19:24, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:18:09 +0200, Shoka wrote:
>
>> I noticed that, after cloning, the eth0 interface has been renamed to
>> eth1 inside the cloned vm.
>>
>> I do not why this happened. Of course, the new vm clone image has
>> another mac address for the nic. eth0 is not used inside the cloned vm.
>
> Udev does this, to give each interface a consistent name. Since eth0 was
> already in use by the old MAC address, this one gets eth1.
> Delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot to start
> again at eth0.

Hi Neil,

Thank you very much for your help. Your tip really solved my problem.
Everything works as excepted now.

Have a nice week!

Best regards,
André