FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
James
 
Default ATI RV710/730

Hello,

I have this ati card. I'm having trouble finding a stable
ati-driver + xorg-server combination that will compile.


Any recommendations as to open source drivers or getting ati-drivers
happy with 9.x or 10.x is most welcome. I read a lot of bugs but
not much clear on how to proceed....


James
 
Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Mick
 
Default ATI RV710/730

On Monday 07 June 2010 00:33:44 James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this ati card. I'm having trouble finding a stable
> ati-driver + xorg-server combination that will compile.
>
>
> Any recommendations as to open source drivers or getting ati-drivers
> happy with 9.x or 10.x is most welcome. I read a lot of bugs but
> not much clear on how to proceed....

I have the same card.

This is what works here:

uname -mr
2.6.33-gentoo-r2 x86_64

x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.6
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.6

Other xorg drivers that I have also installed are:

x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.3.2
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.4.0
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.2.1

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
james
 
Default ATI RV710/730

Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:


> > I have this ati card. I'm having trouble finding a stable
> > ati-driver + xorg-server combination that will compile.


> uname -mr
> 2.6.33-gentoo-r2 x86_64 x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.6
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.6


> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.3.2
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.4.0
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.2.1


Thanks
Mick.

James
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Daniel Troeder
 
Default ATI RV710/730

On 06/07/2010 01:33 AM, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this ati card. I'm having trouble finding a stable
> ati-driver + xorg-server combination that will compile.
>
>
> Any recommendations as to open source drivers or getting ati-drivers
> happy with 9.x or 10.x is most welcome. I read a lot of bugs but
> not much clear on how to proceed....
>
>
> James
x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.6
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.6
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.6

both drivers work well. to install both you have to make drm a module
and not load radeon with kms. switching is possible if you shutdown X
but might require a reboot (it doesn't, but you lack hw-accel. if you
don't).

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887
 
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Mick
 
Default ATI RV710/730

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 09:08:02 Daniel Troeder wrote:
> On 06/07/2010 01:33 AM, James wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have this ati card. I'm having trouble finding a stable
> > ati-driver + xorg-server combination that will compile.
> >
> >
> > Any recommendations as to open source drivers or getting ati-drivers
> > happy with 9.x or 10.x is most welcome. I read a lot of bugs but
> > not much clear on how to proceed....
> >
> >
> > James
>
> x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.6
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.6
> x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.6
>
> both drivers work well. to install both you have to make drm a module
> and not load radeon with kms. switching is possible if you shutdown X
> but might require a reboot (it doesn't, but you lack hw-accel. if you
> don't).

Hmm interesting! How do the ati drivers perform Vs xorg?

--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Daniel Troeder
 
Default ATI RV710/730

On 06/23/2010 11:47 PM, Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 June 2010 09:08:02 Daniel Troeder wrote:
>> On 06/07/2010 01:33 AM, James wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have this ati card. I'm having trouble finding a stable
>>> ati-driver + xorg-server combination that will compile.
>>>
>>>
>>> Any recommendations as to open source drivers or getting ati-drivers
>>> happy with 9.x or 10.x is most welcome. I read a lot of bugs but
>>> not much clear on how to proceed....
>>>
>>>
>>> James
>>
>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.6
>> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.6
>> x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.6
>>
>> both drivers work well. to install both you have to make drm a module
>> and not load radeon with kms. switching is possible if you shutdown X
>> but might require a reboot (it doesn't, but you lack hw-accel. if you
>> don't).
>
> Hmm interesting! How do the ati drivers perform Vs xorg?
>
ATI: 3D is very good - a must for gaming, 2D is SLOW! (thou they did
something about that with 10.6 - experience differs for users - its
said that window management is fast now, but video still has tearing
effect [also my exp.])
Latest driver (10.6) work with xorg-server-1.7.x only and kernel module
has problems with >=2.6.34 (exp. differ).

Xorg: 3D is basic and very slow but works (the newer the driver/server
the better, development is VERY fast), 2D is a dream (very fast, no
tearing with video)!
Driver is released with Xorg - so work always with newest Xorg, kernel
module is in-kernel - work always with newest kernel Driver supports
both KMS and user space MS.

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887
 
Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Mick
 
Default ATI RV710/730

On Thursday 24 June 2010 09:22:07 Daniel Troeder wrote:
> On 06/23/2010 11:47 PM, Mick wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 June 2010 09:08:02 Daniel Troeder wrote:
> >> On 06/07/2010 01:33 AM, James wrote:
> >>> Hello,
> >>>
> >>> I have this ati card. I'm having trouble finding a stable
> >>> ati-driver + xorg-server combination that will compile.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Any recommendations as to open source drivers or getting ati-drivers
> >>> happy with 9.x or 10.x is most welcome. I read a lot of bugs but
> >>> not much clear on how to proceed....
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> James
> >>
> >> x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.6
> >> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.6
> >> x11-drivers/ati-drivers-10.6
> >>
> >> both drivers work well. to install both you have to make drm a module
> >> and not load radeon with kms. switching is possible if you shutdown X
> >> but might require a reboot (it doesn't, but you lack hw-accel. if you
> >> don't).
> >
> > Hmm interesting! How do the ati drivers perform Vs xorg?
>
> ATI: 3D is very good - a must for gaming, 2D is SLOW! (thou they did
> something about that with 10.6 - experience differs for users - its
> said that window management is fast now, but video still has tearing
> effect [also my exp.])
> Latest driver (10.6) work with xorg-server-1.7.x only and kernel module
> has problems with >=2.6.34 (exp. differ).
>
> Xorg: 3D is basic and very slow but works (the newer the driver/server
> the better, development is VERY fast), 2D is a dream (very fast, no
> tearing with video)!
> Driver is released with Xorg - so work always with newest Xorg, kernel
> module is in-kernel - work always with newest kernel Driver supports
> both KMS and user space MS.

Thanks Daniel! I'm using Xorg driver with KMS and it seems that things are
only going to get better if I wait for a while. :-)

--
Regards,
Mick
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org