Old 06-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Gentoo initrd docs?

Hi,
Does there happen to be a Gentoo doc anywhere that goes through
creating an initrd from scratch?

If not Gentoo, then any good web site would be a big help. I'm
interested in booting from RAID - or at least investigating it - so I
need to learn about this.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 06-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Manuel Klemenz

have a look at the gentoo wiki
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs

though no officially supported by gentoo, it's imho a pretty good site to find
tutorials and howto's

--
Cheers,
Manuel Klemenz

Old 06-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Mick

On Sunday 06 June 2010 16:25:43 Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> Does there happen to be a Gentoo doc anywhere that goes through
> creating an initrd from scratch?
>
> If not Gentoo, then any good web site would be a big help. I'm
> interested in booting from RAID - or at least investigating it - so I
> need to learn about this.

Try this:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs

However, the usual caveat emptor applies. Things may have moved on since it
was written.
Mick

Old 06-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> * Does there happen to be a Gentoo doc anywhere that goes through
> creating an initrd from scratch?
>
> * If not Gentoo, then any good web site would be a big help. I'm
> interested in booting from RAID - or at least investigating it - so I
> need to learn about this.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

genkernel is the 'official' way, and I at least use it on my netbook.
Maintaining an up to date kernel with an integrated initramfs with
little effort on my own part, while Gentoo itself sits on an encrypted
partition was just too much to pass up.

The guide for it is here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml

Alternatively, gentoo-wiki.com has guides on most anything I've ever
decided I wanted to look up how to do, and the forums also tend to
have a good how-to here and there.

I've not looked over these two myself, so I can't vouch for them...

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=193273

And last idea I have, as it's where I've learned more about how to
make Linux do *anything* I might want it to do... LFS and the other
projects it's spawned, as the principles used there tend to be low
level enough to work on any linux system I've tried them on (though
the specific, explicit, instructions make assumptions about where
things are and such, of course).

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/initramfs.txt

--
Poison [BLX]