FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default Pasting jacked up for mnths now... like a bugger

Does anyone else notice a serious mess when copy/pasting to firefox.
Some other places too.

I'll mouse scrape something from and go to paste it into google, and
get some older paste plus the new one intermixed as a result.

Its been going on for a good while and finally reached the point where
I'm really sick of it.

I use something of an exotic mouse I guess (Logitech G9), could that
be the problem? I actually doubt it.

I'll give an example, I mouse scrapted the `I actually doublt it'
above and when to paste it to an empty firefox navigation box.

This was the result:
-US%3I actually doubt itAunofficial&q=pdf2html+opensource&aq=f&aqi=&aql= &oq=&gs_rfai=http://twibright.com/pdf2html

As you see, its there but prefaced and postfaced with other junk.

Any ideas what I can do about it? I don't really want to go tracking
down different mice etc... I'm hoping its something to do with xorg or
something.
 
Old 06-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Lie Ryan
 
Default Pasting jacked up for mnths now... like a bugger

On 06/06/10 07:56, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Does anyone else notice a serious mess when copy/pasting to firefox.
> Some other places too.

I don't. But, I guess you need to clarify, when you're saying you
"copy/paste", is it Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V type of copy/pasting or Middle-click
type of copy/pasting?

> This was the result:
> -US%3I actually doubt itAunofficial&q=pdf2html+opensource&aq=f&aqi=&aql= &oq=&gs_rfai=http://twibright.com/pdf2html

what was inside the navigation box before?

Firefox's middle-click url-paste only works if your middle click is not
in the address bar. If you middle-click in the address bar, the regular
buffer-paste mechanism takes over (i.e. it will paste your selection
buffer without deleting what's previously on the address bar).

So, we have three copy-paste mechanism:
- Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V, we're all familiar with this
- Buffer-Paste, provided by X, pastes your selection buffer to hovered
textbox
- Url-Paste, provided by Firefox, loads the URL in the selection buffer,
which as a side effect, replaces the address bar with that url
 
Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default Pasting jacked up for mnths now... like a bugger

Lie Ryan <lie.1296@gmail.com> writes:

> On 06/06/10 07:56, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Does anyone else notice a serious mess when copy/pasting to firefox.
>> Some other places too.
>
> I don't. But, I guess you need to clarify, when you're saying you
> "copy/paste", is it Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V type of copy/pasting or
> Middle-click type of copy/pasting?

Always best to be clear as possible...sorry.

I did mention mouse scraping twice... and of course middle mouse would
follow.. and that is the most common way I copy paste.

I disagree that we all are accustomed to Cntl-v etc. That is more a
windows phenomena... long time linux (X) users are more accustomed to
left mouse highlight... middle mouse paste, I think, at lest I am.

Going back a ways like 12-15yrs, I don't think there were many apps
(maybe none) that even did ctrl-c ctrl-v.

>> This was the result:
>> -US%3I actually doubt itAunofficial&q=pdf2html+opensource&aq=f&aqi=&aql= &oq=&gs_rfai=http://twibright.com/pdf2html
>
> what was inside the navigation box before?

Nothing, it was blank. My paste followed Ctrl-t... (it creates a new window with
blank navigation box)

> Firefox's middle-click url-paste only works if your middle click is not
> in the address bar. If you middle-click in the address bar, the regular
> buffer-paste mechanism takes over (i.e. it will paste your selection
> buffer without deleting what's previously on the address bar).

I get the same problem posting into a google search box so its not the
address bar mechanism at work... and like mentioned above it was blank
anyway.

Also I failed to mention that I'm using Xfce4 desktop, and just in
case anyone is about to suggest the clipman utility... I find it to be
utterly and completely useless.

It never even registers having anything on the clipboard. That is, if
I `left mouse' highlight something, clipman just shows an empty
clipboard.

But then I suppose that might possibly point to some deeper cause that
is at the root of the problem.
 
Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 AM
pk
 
Default Pasting jacked up for mnths now... like a bugger

On 2010-06-06 22:13, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I disagree that we all are accustomed to Cntl-v etc. That is more a
> windows phenomena... long time linux (X) users are more accustomed to
> left mouse highlight... middle mouse paste, I think, at lest I am.

I'm not alone then... :-D

About your problem, does pasting work in other apps or terminals? What X
version are you using (i.e. when did your problems start)? Could some
setting in firefox be the problem (I remember needing to set
middlemouse.contentLoadURL to false due to some problem with copy &
paste but it might not be related)?

Best regards

Peter K
 
Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Pasting jacked up for mnths now... like a bugger

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Does anyone else notice a serious mess when copy/pasting to firefox.
> Some other places too.

With Firefox, I can only paste things that were copied after the
program was started. If I copy a link (say, from an e-mail) and then
open firefox to paste it, it won't work. However, if I copy or choose
that text from the history in Klipper once Firefox is running, then I
can paste it no problem... As far as I can remember, it has always
been this way with Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird and their friends.
(I use KDE) I have not seen corruption like you're describing, though.

As far as copy/paste methods, I've always favored ctrl-insert to copy
and shift-insert to paste.

And back in my OS/2 days I think they had left-right click to copy and
right-left click to paste? Something like that. It was handy.
 
Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default Pasting jacked up for mnths now... like a bugger

pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> writes:

> On 2010-06-06 22:13, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I disagree that we all are accustomed to Cntl-v etc. That is more a
>> windows phenomena... long time linux (X) users are more accustomed to
>> left mouse highlight... middle mouse paste, I think, at lest I am.
>
> I'm not alone then... :-D
>
> About your problem, does pasting work in other apps or terminals? What X
> version are you using (i.e. when did your problems start)? Could some
> setting in firefox be the problem (I remember needing to set
> middlemouse.contentLoadURL to false due to some problem with copy &
> paste but it might not be related)?

Focusing in and tracking experiments, it seems to be a problem mainly
related to pasting to/from emacs-24 / firefox-3.6.3.

But also it appears cmdline (Xterm version 256) to firefox as well

I don't really use hardly any other apps. Xterm, firefox, emacs, and
X, usually several frames of each (except X) and maybe several virtual
terminals provided in the X desktop pager. Where I'll have several
bunches of xterms and maybe several instances of emacs running.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org