Old 06-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Mick

Default Blurred bold characters in urxvt

On Saturday 05 June 2010 19:13:24 Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I emerged rxvt-unicode because aterm which I have been using faithfully for
> years does not do UTF8, but as you can see in the attachment all bold
> characters look distorted. In xterm and aterm they look nice and clear
> when bold.
>
> How can I fix this?

It seems that it was a limitation of the fixed font that I had defined for
aterm in .Xresources:

aterm*font:-*-fixed-*-*-*-*-20-*-100-*-*-*-*-*

Setting a different font and using xft seems to overcome this problem:

/usr/bin/urxvt -pe tabbed -fn "x:Bitstream Vera Sans Monoixelsize=15"

No idea why aterm copes with fixed font and urxvt does not ...

Mick

Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 05 June 2010 19:13:24 Mick wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I emerged rxvt-unicode because aterm which I have been using faithfully for
>> years does not do UTF8, but as you can see in the attachment all bold
>> characters look distorted. *In xterm and aterm they look nice and clear
>> *when bold.
>>
>> How can I fix this?
>
> It seems that it was a limitation of the fixed font that I had defined for
> aterm in .Xresources:
>
> aterm*font:-*-fixed-*-*-*-*-20-*-100-*-*-*-*-*
>
> Setting a different font and using xft seems to overcome this problem:
>
> /usr/bin/urxvt -pe tabbed -fn "x:Bitstream Vera Sans Monoixelsize=15"
>
> No idea why aterm copes with fixed font and urxvt does not ...
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

The 'why' I can answer. Aterm doesn't do antialiasing for the fonts
while urxvt does, and the 'fixed' font wasn't made to be able to
handle antialiasing cleanly.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Mick

On 7 June 2010 13:52, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday 05 June 2010 19:13:24 Mick wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I emerged rxvt-unicode because aterm which I have been using faithfully for
>>> years does not do UTF8, but as you can see in the attachment all bold
>>> characters look distorted. *In xterm and aterm they look nice and clear
>>> *when bold.
>>>
>>> How can I fix this?
>>
>> It seems that it was a limitation of the fixed font that I had defined for
>> aterm in .Xresources:
>>
>> aterm*font:-*-fixed-*-*-*-*-20-*-100-*-*-*-*-*
>>
>> Setting a different font and using xft seems to overcome this problem:
>>
>> /usr/bin/urxvt -pe tabbed -fn "x:Bitstream Vera Sans Monoixelsize=15"
>>
>> No idea why aterm copes with fixed font and urxvt does not ...
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Mick
>
> The 'why' I can answer. Aterm doesn't do antialiasing for the fonts
> while urxvt does, and the 'fixed' font wasn't made to be able to
> handle antialiasing cleanly.

Thanks, it makes sense now.
Mick