Old 06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
walt

Default problems with rsync (emerge --sync)

On 06/03/2010 05:43 AM, Rod wrote:

Hi, has anyone had this problem with trying to update the database for portage?

It was doing this a while ago, then it stopped (I don't know why) now its doing it again..

# emerge --sync
>>> Starting rsync with rsync://91.186.30.235/gentoo-portage...
>>> Checking server timestamp ...
timed out

If you don't specify a list of mirrors you want, portage will rotate randomly through
its list. You'll probably get better results if you pick a handful of servers that
are close to you and not overloaded. Emerge mirrorselect and see if you can get
better servers.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Mick

On Thursday 03 June 2010 19:55:29 walt wrote:
> On 06/03/2010 05:43 AM, Rod wrote:
> > Hi, has anyone had this problem with trying to update the database for
> > portage?
> >
> > It was doing this a while ago, then it stopped (I don't know why) now its
> > doing it again..
> >
> > # emerge --sync

> > timed out
>
> If you don't specify a list of mirrors you want, portage will rotate
> randomly through its list. You'll probably get better results if you pick
> a handful of servers that are close to you and not overloaded. Emerge
> mirrorselect and see if you can get better servers.

I'm also getting this. Initially I thought that DNS could not resolve for
some ISP related reason, but it is more involved than that. It seems like a
$SYNC not a $GENTOO_MIRRORS problem.

I changed the rsync.europe.gentoo.org to rsync.de.gentoo.org and rsync worked.
So, could it be that something is wrong with the way the rsync rsync.europe
mirrors are meant to be rotated?
Mick

Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Mick

On Friday 04 June 2010 08:37:00 Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 03 June 2010 19:55:29 walt wrote:
> > On 06/03/2010 05:43 AM, Rod wrote:
> > > Hi, has anyone had this problem with trying to update the database
> > > for portage?
> > >
> > > It was doing this a while ago, then it stopped (I don't know why) now
> > > its doing it again..
> > >
> > > # emerge --sync

> > > timed out
> >
> > If you don't specify a list of mirrors you want, portage will rotate
> > randomly through its list. You'll probably get better results if you
> > pick a handful of servers that are close to you and not overloaded.
> > Emerge mirrorselect and see if you can get better servers.
>
> I'm also getting this. Initially I thought that DNS could not resolve for
> some ISP related reason, but it is more involved than that. It seems like
> a $SYNC not a $GENTOO_MIRRORS problem.
>
> I changed the rsync.europe.gentoo.org to rsync.de.gentoo.org and rsync
> worked. So, could it be that something is wrong with the way the rsync
> rsync.europe mirrors are meant to be rotated?

Any progress with this guys? Should we be filling in a bug report?

Mick