Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Grant

Default {OT} "dumb" ethernet mover

>>> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
>>> desktop attaches to my TV. *I'm using a small wireless router to send
>>> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
>>> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
> [...]
>
>> You could use a pair of powerline adaptors to route the ethernet across
>> the mains wiring. I use them for my MythTV front end, because SWMBO would
>> go apeshit if I tried running ethernet cables through the living room.
>
> Do those not count as "non-Gentoo decision-making devices"?

When I said I didn't like to use non-Gentoo decision-making devices, I
was just trying to let everyone in on my mentality. It would be
ideal, but of course it means building and maintaining another Gentoo
system and I always seem to be short on time as it is.

- Grant

Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-06-01, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
>>> desktop attaches to my TV. ?I'm using a small wireless router to send
>>> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
>>> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
>>> but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
>>> only firewall/router duties. ?Am I overlooking another option? ?I want
>>> a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
>>> room to the other.
>>
>> Usually that's called a "cable". ?
>>
>> Many wireless bridges have a "virtual cable" mode point-to-point
>> bridging mode that will let you pair them together so that they won't
>> talk to anything else and are just transparent layer 2 bridges. ?I've
>> got some DLink bridges that have a mode like that. ?You just set them
>> up next to each other and powered them both up while holding a button
>> down, and they'd find each other and pair-up.
>
> I hadn't heard of a wireless bridge before. That sounds about right.
> DD-WRT running as a wireless bridge wouldn't be so bad right?

I don't have any experience with DD-WRT. I use OpenWrt, but have
only used it in "normal" bridges and WAPs.

By a "normal" bridge, I mean one that's running in infrastructure mode
talking to a WAP using the normal WEP and WAP authentication (the WAP
also happened to be running OpenWrt).

For a simple point-to-point link you may want to try ad-hoc mode
instead of infrastrucure mode.

--
Grant

Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Grant

>>> Usually that's called a "cable". ?
>>>
>>> Many wireless bridges have a "virtual cable" mode point-to-point
>>> bridging mode that will let you pair them together so that they won't
>>> talk to anything else and are just transparent layer 2 bridges. ?I've
>>> got some DLink bridges that have a mode like that. ?You just set them
>>> up next to each other and powered them both up while holding a button
>>> down, and they'd find each other and pair-up.
>>
>> I hadn't heard of a wireless bridge before. *That sounds about right.
>> DD-WRT running as a wireless bridge wouldn't be so bad right?
>
> I don't have any experience with DD-WRT. *I use OpenWrt, but have
> only used it in "normal" bridges and WAPs.

Sorry to be getting even more OT, but why did you choose OpenWRT over
DD-WRT? I didn't know there was more than one choice available.

- Grant

Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-06-01, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't have any experience with DD-WRT. ?I use OpenWrt, but have
>> only used it in "normal" bridges and WAPs.
>
> Sorry to be getting even more OT, but why did you choose OpenWRT over
> DD-WRT? I didn't know there was more than one choice available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wireless_router_firmware_projects

When I made the choice it was for several reasons:

* OpenWrt supported a lot more platforms than DD-Wrt.

* OpenWrt is open-source where DD-Wrt isn't.

* DD-Wrt is a closed project with a developer that isn't interested
in working with outsiders, while OpenWrt is much more
community-oriented and works with other groups of developers like
XWrt.

www.openwrt.org
www.xwrt.org

--
Grant

Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 00:15:20 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > You could use a pair of powerline adaptors to route the ethernet
> > across the mains wiring. I use them for my MythTV front end, because
> > SWMBO would go apeshit if I tried running ethernet cables through the
> > living room.
>
> Do those not count as "non-Gentoo decision-making devices"?

No, because they do not make decisions. They are no more intelligent than
an ethernet hub.

--
Neil Bothwick

Women live longer than men because they have so many clothes that they
wouldn't be caught dead in.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 01 June 2010 00:49:25 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> You could use a pair of powerline adaptors to route the ethernet
> across the mains wiring. I use them for my MythTV front end, because
> SWMBO would go apeshit if I tried running ethernet cables through
> the living room.

You should see the loudspeaker and satellite cables running around mine!
I never did find a neat way to route them.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-06-01, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 00:15:20 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> > You could use a pair of powerline adaptors to route the ethernet
>> > across the mains wiring. I use them for my MythTV front end, because
>> > SWMBO would go apeshit if I tried running ethernet cables through the
>> > living room.
>>
>> Do those not count as "non-Gentoo decision-making devices"?
>
> No, because they do not make decisions.

OK.

> They are no more intelligent than an ethernet hub.

I doubt that.

I would think they're at least as smart as a modem or an Ethernet
switch.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Is this going to
at involve RAW human ecstasy?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:21:26 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > They are no more intelligent than an ethernet hub.
>
> I doubt that.
>
> I would think they're at least as smart as a modem or an Ethernet
> switch.

They are certainly not as smart as a switch as they make no packet
routing decisions, a modem is closer to the mark, but there's certainly
no decision making involved.

--
Neil Bothwick

"It compiled? The first screen came up? Ship it!" -- Bill Gates