Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Grant

Default {OT} "dumb" ethernet mover

My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
desktop attaches to my TV. I'm using a small wireless router to send
the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
only firewall/router duties. Am I overlooking another option? I want
a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
room to the other.

There may not be anything like that. I just thought I'd ask.

- Grant

Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Robert Bridge

You mean a long ethernet cable?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:19:40 -0700, Grant wrote:

> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
> desktop attaches to my TV. I'm using a small wireless router to send
> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
> but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
> only firewall/router duties. Am I overlooking another option? I want
> a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
> room to the other.

You could use a pair of powerline adaptors to route the ethernet across
the mains wiring. I use them for my MythTV front end, because SWMBO would
go apeshit if I tried running ethernet cables through the living room.

--
Neil Bothwick

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-05-31, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:19:40 -0700, Grant wrote:
>
>> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
>> desktop attaches to my TV. I'm using a small wireless router to send
>> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
>> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
[...]

> You could use a pair of powerline adaptors to route the ethernet across
> the mains wiring. I use them for my MythTV front end, because SWMBO would
> go apeshit if I tried running ethernet cables through the living room.

Do those not count as "non-Gentoo decision-making devices"?

--
Grant

Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Grant

>> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
>> desktop attaches to my TV. *I'm using a small wireless router to send
>> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
>> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
>> but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
>> only firewall/router duties. *Am I overlooking another option? *I want
>> a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
>> room to the other.
>
> You could use a pair of powerline adaptors to route the ethernet across
> the mains wiring. I use them for my MythTV front end, because SWMBO would
> go apeshit if I tried running ethernet cables through the living room.

I thought about that, and it would be perfect except that I'm really
into audio and I don't want to increase the interference in my
apartment's electricity.

- Grant

Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Grant

>> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
>> desktop attaches to my TV. *I'm using a small wireless router to send
>> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
>> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
>> but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
>> only firewall/router duties. *Am I overlooking another option? *I want
>> a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
>> room to the other.
>
> Usually that's called a "cable". *
>
> Many wireless bridges have a "virtual cable" mode point-to-point
> bridging mode that will let you pair them together so that they won't
> talk to anything else and are just transparent layer 2 bridges. *I've
> got some DLink bridges that have a mode like that. *You just set them
> up next to each other and powered them both up while holding a button
> down, and they'd find each other and pair-up.

I hadn't heard of a wireless bridge before. That sounds about right.
DD-WRT running as a wireless bridge wouldn't be so bad right?

- Grant