FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default mDNSResponder fails to compile

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Bob Young wrote:
> I'm back to building a Gentoo box after my previous Gentoo box died a
> hardware death about six months ago. It's mostly installed and
> functioning but I wanted to bring up KDE, I was surprised to find
> that the kde-meta emerge, failed 43 packages into the 300 or so that
> is kde-meta.
>
> It dies on building mDNSResponder, below is the error, if anybody is
> interested. It seems to be the same bug reported in Nov 2007:
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196349 I don't see any
> resolution posted for this bug, so it appears that mDNSResponder is
> currently broken, and it doesen't appear that anybody IS terribly
> interested.
>
> I'm not sure what USE flag I have included that brings in
> mDNSResponder, after reading the package summary, I thought it might
> be "zeroconf," but after adding "-zeroconf" to /etc/make.conf,
> "emerge -pn kde-meta" or "emerge -pn kde" still shows that
> mDNSResponder is going to be merged. I've tried adding
> "net-misc/mDNSResponder ~x86" to package keywords in hopes of getting
> a later version, but it appears there isn't a later version.
>
> So here I am, asking for any kind of solution anybody can provide,
> since it doesn't look like mDNSResponder is going to be fixed anytime
> soon I guess the preferred method is to remove whatever USE flag(s)
> are bringing it in if that's possible, but I don't know how to
> determine that information and would be grateful for some assistance.

Please don't post in HTML, it makes things hell to read, thanks.


mDNSResponder builds here OK. The latest version is the stable one:

alan@nazgul ~ $ eix mdnsresponder
[i] net-misc/mDNSResponder
Available versions: 98 (~)107.1 (~)107.5 107.6-r5 {debug doc
elibc_FreeBSD java}
Installed versions: 107.6-r5(03:25:38 PM 11/05/2007)
(java -debug -doc -elibc_FreeBSD)
Homepage:
http://developer.apple.com/networking/bonjour/index.html
Description: The mDNSResponder project is a component of
Bonjour, Apple's initiative for zero-configuration networking.

The USE flags that pull it in (at least the ones I'm using) are using
zeroconf and NOT using avahi:

alan@nazgul ~ $ equery depends mDNSResponder
[ Searching for packages depending on mDNSResponder... ]
kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r2 (!avahi & !bindist? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
net-print/cups-1.3.5 (zeroconf & !avahi? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

I'd guess you need USE=avahi to stop kdelibs from using mDNSResponder

>
> Responder daemon done
>
> i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -I. -I../mDNSCore -I../mDNSShared -W -Wall
> -DPID_FILE="/var/run/mdnsd.pid"
> -DMDNS_UDS_SERVERPATH="/var/run/mdnsd" -DNOT_HAVE_SA_LEN
> -DUSES_NETLINK -DHAVE_LINUX -g -DMDNS_DEBUGMSGS=2 -O2 -march=i6$
>
> i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -I. -I../mDNSCore -I../mDNSShared -W -Wall
> -DPID_FILE="/var/run/mdnsd.pid"
> -DMDNS_UDS_SERVERPATH="/var/run/mdnsd" -DNOT_HAVE_SA_LEN
> -DUSES_NETLINK -DHAVE_LINUX -g -DMDNS_DEBUGMSGS=2 -O2 -march=i6$
>
> i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -I. -I../mDNSCore -I../mDNSShared -W -Wall
> -DPID_FILE="/var/run/mdnsd.pid"
> -DMDNS_UDS_SERVERPATH="/var/run/mdnsd" -DNOT_HAVE_SA_LEN
> -DUSES_NETLINK -DHAVE_LINUX -g -DMDNS_DEBUGMSGS=2 -O2 -march=i6$
>
> build/debug/libdns_sd.so
>
> Client library done
>
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5/work/mDNSResponder-
>107.6/C lients'
>
> mkdir build
>
> cc dns-sd.c -L../mDNSPosix/build/prod/ -ldns_sd -I../mDNSShared -o
> build/dns-sd
>
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bi
>n/ld: cannot find -ldns_sd
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> make[1]: *** [build/dns-sd] Error 1
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5/work/mDNSResponder-
>107.6/C lients'
>
> make: *** [../Clients/build/dns-sd] Error 2
>
> *
>
> * ERROR: net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5 failed.
>
> * Call stack:
>
> * ebuild.sh, line 1701: Called dyn_compile
>
> * ebuild.sh, line 1039: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
>
> * ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
>
> * mDNSResponder-107.6-r5.ebuild, line 51: Called die
>
> * The specific snippet of code:
>
> * mdnsmake || die "make failed"
>
> * The die message:
>
> * make failed
>
> *
>
> * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call
> stack if relevant.
>
> * A complete build log is located at
> '/var/tmp/portage/net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5/temp/build.log'.
>
> *
>
> !!! When you file a bug report, please include the following
> information:
>
> GENTOO_VM=sun-jdk-1.6 CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME="/opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.03"
>
> JAVACFLAGS="-source 1.4 -target 1.4" COMPILER=""
>
> and of course, the output of emerge --info



--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Dale
 
Default mDNSResponder fails to compile

Bob Young wrote:
>
> I’m back to building a Gentoo box after my previous Gentoo box died a
> hardware death about six months ago. It’s mostly installed and
> functioning but I wanted to bring up KDE, I was surprised to find that
> the kde-meta emerge, failed 43 packages into the 300 or so that is
> kde-meta.
>
>
>
> It dies on building mDNSResponder, below is the error, if anybody is
> interested. It seems to be the same bug reported in Nov 2007:
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196349 I don’t see any
> resolution posted for this bug, so it appears that mDNSResponder is
> currently broken, and it doesen’t appear that anybody IS terribly
> interested.
>
>
>
> I’m not sure what USE flag I have included that brings in
> mDNSResponder, after reading the package summary, I thought it might
> be “zeroconf,” but after adding “-zeroconf” to /etc/make.conf, “emerge
> –pn kde-meta” or “emerge –pn kde” still shows that mDNSResponder is
> going to be merged. I’ve tried adding “net-misc/mDNSResponder ~x86” to
> package keywords in hopes of getting a later version, but it appears
> there isn’t a later version.
>
>
>
> So here I am, asking for any kind of solution anybody can provide,
> since it doesn’t look like mDNSResponder is going to be fixed anytime
> soon I guess the preferred method is to remove whatever USE flag(s)
> are bringing it in if that’s possible, but I don’t know how to
> determine that information and would be grateful for some assistance.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Young
>
> San Jose CA.
>
>
>

Have you tried this: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196349#c4
It may work.

If you are new, emerge =net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.5 I think that is
it anyway.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org