Old 05-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Dru Kargin

Default Slim hassle...to login or not to login

> Hi,
>
> while installing a new system from ground up on my new harddisc
> I came accross a silly problem:
>
> I have setup X and slim as login manager. I installed openbox
> (no kde/gnome) as session manager.
>
> Slim starts...and: The keyboard and the mouse are not responding...
>
> Same happens when I start plain X as root. Screen remains black
> and I have to use the sysreq-keys to get my box back to normal...
>
> The X-logfile shows as only Error, that the GLX-module could not be
> found.
>
> I am using nvidia-drivers and reinstalled them as adviced but the
> effect remains the same.
>
> hald is running. fonts are installed (at least the default ones).
>
> Also installed are:
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev Generic Linux input driver
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard Keyboard input driver
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse X.Org driver for mouse input devices
>
> eselect opengl set nvidia is done.
>
> What is missing? Why dies this not work (my old system running on
> the same hardware using the same setup in principle has no problem
> at all with X/Openbox.
>
> Why does X only half???
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

Are your keyboard and mouse "InputDevice"s in xorg.conf configured to
use the evdev driver, and does your "ServerLayout" section contain
InputDevice lines to correctly point to those devices? I have had some
weird problems with slim, but never trouble like you describe with plain
X/twm.

-Dru

Old 05-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Dru Kargin <drukargin@gmail.com> [10-05-29 18:08]:

> > Hi,
> >
> > while installing a new system from ground up on my new harddisc
> > I came accross a silly problem:
> >
> > I have setup X and slim as login manager. I installed openbox
> > (no kde/gnome) as session manager.
> >
> > Slim starts...and: The keyboard and the mouse are not responding...
> >
> > Same happens when I start plain X as root. Screen remains black
> > and I have to use the sysreq-keys to get my box back to normal...
> >
> > The X-logfile shows as only Error, that the GLX-module could not be
> > found.
> >
> > I am using nvidia-drivers and reinstalled them as adviced but the
> > effect remains the same.
> >
> > hald is running. fonts are installed (at least the default ones).
> >
> > Also installed are:
> > x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev Generic Linux input driver
> > x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard Keyboard input driver
> > x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse X.Org driver for mouse input devices
> >
> > eselect opengl set nvidia is done.
> >
> > What is missing? Why dies this not work (my old system running on
> > the same hardware using the same setup in principle has no problem
> > at all with X/Openbox.
> >
> > Why does X only half???
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
> >
> Are your keyboard and mouse "InputDevice"s in xorg.conf configured to
> use the evdev driver, and does your "ServerLayout" section contain
> InputDevice lines to correctly point to those devices? I have had some
> weird problems with slim, but never trouble like you describe with plain
> X/twm.
>
> -Dru

I copied the working xconf from my old system to my new one and had
never modified/hacked the installation paths of those applikations.
So I exspect that at least X will give me that greyish screen with
an moveable X as cursor (was it that way...its lon ago that I need
to call X the plain way.).

Why could the GLX module not found???

mcc

Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Mick

On Saturday 29 May 2010 17:20:48 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Dru Kargin <drukargin@gmail.com> [10-05-29 18:08]:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > while installing a new system from ground up on my new harddisc
> > > I came accross a silly problem:
> > >
> > > I have setup X and slim as login manager. I installed openbox
> > > (no kde/gnome) as session manager.
> > >
> > > Slim starts...and: The keyboard and the mouse are not responding...
> > >
> > > Same happens when I start plain X as root. Screen remains black
> > > and I have to use the sysreq-keys to get my box back to normal...
> > >
> > > The X-logfile shows as only Error, that the GLX-module could not be
> > > found.
> > >
> > > I am using nvidia-drivers and reinstalled them as adviced but the
> > > effect remains the same.
> > >
> > > hald is running. fonts are installed (at least the default ones).
> > >
> > > Also installed are:
> > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev Generic Linux input driver
> > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard Keyboard input driver
> > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse X.Org driver for mouse input devices
> > >
> > > eselect opengl set nvidia is done.
> > >
> > > What is missing? Why dies this not work (my old system running on
> > > the same hardware using the same setup in principle has no problem
> > > at all with X/Openbox.
> > >
> > > Why does X only half???
> > >
> > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > mcc
> >
> > Are your keyboard and mouse "InputDevice"s in xorg.conf configured to
> > use the evdev driver, and does your "ServerLayout" section contain
> > InputDevice lines to correctly point to those devices? I have had some
> > weird problems with slim, but never trouble like you describe with plain
> > X/twm.
> >
> > -Dru
>
> I copied the working xconf from my old system to my new one and had
> never modified/hacked the installation paths of those applikations.
> So I exspect that at least X will give me that greyish screen with
> an moveable X as cursor (was it that way...its lon ago that I need
> to call X the plain way.).
>
> Why could the GLX module not found???

Have you installed mesa?

Otherwise I suspect an nvidia issue - but I have never used nvidia to know
what to look for.

PS. Make sure you reboot or restart dbus/hald after you finish emerging and
configuring xorg and x11-drivers.

HTH.
Mick