Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 AM
"Chuanwen Wu"

Default uvesafb problem

Hi, guys!

I want to have higher resolution in console. I used vesa-tng before
and now I have update the kernel to 2.6.23 and I guess I should use
uvesafb instead of vesa-tng.

I have followed the guide here
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/, and
Here is the options I have chose in config file about the "FB" thing:

CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_DDC=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
CONFIG_FB_DEFERRED_IO=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
CONFIG_FB_UVESA=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_INTEL=y
CONFIG_FB_INTEL_I2C=y

and in the menu.lst file, I append "video=uvesafb:1024x768" (PS: I
have tried "video=uvesafb:1024x768-32" and some other similar
parameter, too) to the kernel command line.
But after I rebooted, the resolution was still very low, which I
guess was 800x640, and I couldn't see anything changed.

PS: My machine is Dell 1400 laptop and use x86_64 arch. I use
tuxonice-sources and I have also tried gentoo-source to test the
uvesafb.

Any help is appreciated!
--
wcw

Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 AM

just use

video=vesafb:1024x768

justin

Old 01-15-2008, 12:40 PM
"Chuanwen Wu"

Hi,

On Jan 15, 2008 7:25 PM, <justin@j-schmitz.net> wrote:

> just use
>
> video=vesafb:1024x768
I tried, and it doesn't work.

> justin
>

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:44:39 +0800, "Chuanwen Wu" <wcw8410@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi, guys!
> >
> > I want to have higher resolution in console. I used vesa-tng before
> > and now I have update the kernel to 2.6.23 and I guess I should use
> > uvesafb instead of vesa-tng.
> >
> > I have followed the guide here
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/, and
> > Here is the options I have chose in config file about the "FB" thing:
> >
> > CONFIG_FB=y
> > CONFIG_FB_DDC=y
> > CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
> > CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
> > CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
> > CONFIG_FB_DEFERRED_IO=y
> > CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
> > CONFIG_FB_UVESA=y
> > CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> > CONFIG_FB_INTEL=y
> > CONFIG_FB_INTEL_I2C=y
> >
> > and in the menu.lst file, I append "video=uvesafb:1024x768" (PS: I
> > have tried "video=uvesafb:1024x768-32" and some other similar
> > parameter, too) to the kernel command line.
> > But after I rebooted, the resolution was still very low, which I
> > guess was 800x640, and I couldn't see anything changed.
> >
> > PS: My machine is Dell 1400 laptop and use x86_64 arch. I use
> > tuxonice-sources and I have also tried gentoo-source to test the
> > uvesafb.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated!
> > --
> > wcw
> > --

wcw

Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Kevin

Just making sure you didn't read his line incorrectly, but I think Justin was telling to go back to the VESA driver as opposed to the uvesa one.** If you are set on uvesa did you try the line video=uvesafb:1024x768 or is that what you implied in the note about it not working.

thanks and good luck

On Jan 15, 2008 7:40 AM, Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

On Jan 15, 2008 7:25 PM, *<justin@j-schmitz.net> wrote:

> just use
>
> video=vesafb:1024x768
I tried, and it doesn't work.

> justin
>

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:44:39 +0800, "Chuanwen Wu" <wcw8410@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi, guys!

> > I want to have higher resolution in console. I used vesa-tng before
> > and now I have update the kernel to 2.6.23 and I guess I should use
> > uvesafb instead of vesa-tng.

> > I have followed the guide here
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/, and
> > Here is the options I have chose in config file about the "FB" thing:

> > CONFIG_FB=y
> > CONFIG_FB_DDC=y
> > CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
> > CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
> > CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
> > CONFIG_FB_DEFERRED_IO=y

> > CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
> > CONFIG_FB_UVESA=y
> > CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> > CONFIG_FB_INTEL=y
> > CONFIG_FB_INTEL_I2C=y
> >
> > and in the menu.lst file, I append *"video=uvesafb:1024x768" (PS: I

> > have tried "video=uvesafb:1024x768-32" and some other similar
> > parameter, too) *to the kernel command line.
> > *But after I rebooted, the resolution was still very low, which I

> > guess was 800x640, and I couldn't see anything changed.
> >
> > PS: My machine is Dell 1400 laptop and use x86_64 arch. I use
> > tuxonice-sources and I have also tried gentoo-source to test the

> > uvesafb.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated!
> > --
> > wcw
> > --

wcw

Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 PM
"Chuanwen Wu"

Hi,
On Jan 15, 2008 9:52 PM, Kevin <koquinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just making sure you didn't read his line incorrectly, but I think Justin
> was telling to go back to the VESA driver as opposed to the uvesa one. If
> you are set on uvesa did you try the line video=uvesafb:1024x768 or is that
> what you implied in the note about it not working.

I mean Justin' s suggestion "video=vesafb:1024x768" didn't work in my machine.
And also, just as what I said in the first post that
"video=uvesafb:1024x768" didn't work, too.

wcw

Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Kevin

On Jan 15, 2008 8:31 AM, Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
On Jan 15, 2008 9:52 PM, Kevin <koquinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just making sure you didn't read his line incorrectly, but I think Justin
> was telling to go back to the VESA driver as opposed to the uvesa one. * If

> you are set on uvesa did you try the line video=uvesafb:1024x768 or is that
> what you implied in the note about it not working.
>
>I mean Justin' s suggestion "video=vesafb:1024x768" didn't work in my machine.

>And also, just as what I said in the first post that
>"video=uvesafb:1024x768" didn't work, too.
> thanks and good luck

The only difference in my kernel config and yours is that I have CONFIG_FB_CON_DECOR=Y which is located:
-> Device Drivers******************************************* ********
******** -> Graphics support******************************************* ****

********** -> Console display driver support*******************************
************ -> Framebuffer Console support (FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE [=y])

Try enabling that with the "video=uvesafb:1024x768" line.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
"Chuanwen Wu"

On Jan 15, 2008 10:40 PM, Kevin <koquinn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008 8:31 AM, Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > On Jan 15, 2008 9:52 PM, Kevin <koquinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Just making sure you didn't read his line incorrectly, but I think
> Justin
> > > was telling to go back to the VESA driver as opposed to the uvesa one.
> If
> > > you are set on uvesa did you try the line video=uvesafb:1024x768 or is
> that
> > > what you implied in the note about it not working.
> > >
> > >I mean Justin' s suggestion "video=vesafb:1024x768" didn't work in my
> machine.
> > >And also, just as what I said in the first post that
> > >"video=uvesafb:1024x768" didn't work, too.
> >

> > > thanks and good luck
> >

> The only difference in my kernel config and yours is that I have
> CONFIG_FB_CON_DECOR=Y which is located:
> -> Device Drivers
> -> Graphics support
> -> Console display driver support
> -> Framebuffer Console support (FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE [=y])
Yeah, it works! I just added this option you suggest, and now I have
small characters in the console.

Thank you very much!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 PM
David Voge

Am Dienstag, den 15.01.2008, 22:54 +0800 schrieb Chuanwen Wu:
> > > was telling to go back to the VESA driver as opposed to the
> > >

> > The only difference in my kernel config and yours is that I have
> > CONFIG_FB_CON_DECOR=Y which is located:
> > -> Device Drivers
> > -> Graphics support
> > -> Console display driver support
> > -> Framebuffer Console support (FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE [=y])
> Yeah, it works! I just added this option you suggest, and now I have
> small characters in the console.
>
> Thank you very much!
> >
> > Try enabling that with the "video=uvesafb:1024x768" line.

It gonna work with the kernel paramters vga=0x318 for 1024x768, the
kernel configs framebuffer and the vesa driver too.

David