Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Mick

Default Do I need hdparm for serial ATA drive?

Newer machines invariably have SATA drives:

*-disk
product: ST9500420ASG
vendor: Seagate
physical id: 0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 0004
serial: 5VJ377P2
size: 465GiB (500GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=cf5ac2f0

From dmesg:

ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf1005000 port 0xf1005100 irq 35
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf1005000 port 0xf1005180 irq 35

Do I need to emerge hdparm for such a drive?
Mick

Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> Newer machines invariably have SATA drives:
>
> *-disk
> product: ST9500420ASG
> vendor: Seagate
> physical id: 0
> bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
> logical name: /dev/sda
> version: 0004
> serial: 5VJ377P2
> size: 465GiB (500GB)
> capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
> configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=cf5ac2f0
>
> From dmesg:
>
> ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf1005000 port 0xf1005100 irq 35
> ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf1005000 port 0xf1005180 irq 35
>
> Do I need to emerge hdparm for such a drive?

As long as the drivers are in your kernel the drives should work.
hdparm is not required to use your disks, but you can use it to change
power-saving mode etc. (for example my 2TB drive had very aggressive
spindown when power-saving was OFF, but when I use hdparm to turn
power-saving ON at the highest level, the crazy spindowns stopped)

Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:22:11 +0100, Mick wrote:

> Newer machines invariably have SATA drives:
>
> Do I need to emerge hdparm for such a drive?

% whatis hdparm
hdparm (8) - get/set SATA/ATA device parameters

SATA is still ATA, using the same basic command set but over a different
wire.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 37: Sanitary landfill

Old 05-28-2010, 05:35 AM
Mick

On Thursday 27 May 2010 17:29:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:22:11 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > Newer machines invariably have SATA drives:
> >
> > Do I need to emerge hdparm for such a drive?
>
> % whatis hdparm
> hdparm (8) - get/set SATA/ATA device parameters
>
> SATA is still ATA, using the same basic command set but over a different
> wire.

Yes, hdparm will work with my drive, but the question is would I have a
benefit using it? Other than what Paul said, is there another benefit e.g.
speed wise that I could derive from using hdparm, or is the kernel on its own
enough to optimise the performance of the drive?

Mick

Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 28 Mai 2010, Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2010 17:29:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:22:11 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > > Newer machines invariably have SATA drives:
> > >
> > > Do I need to emerge hdparm for such a drive?
> >
> > % whatis hdparm
> > hdparm (8) - get/set SATA/ATA device parameters
> >
> > SATA is still ATA, using the same basic command set but over a different
> > wire.
>
> Yes, hdparm will work with my drive, but the question is would I have a
> benefit using it? Other than what Paul said, is there another benefit e.g.
> speed wise that I could derive from using hdparm

no

> or is the kernel on its
> own enough to optimise the performance of the drive?

yes

Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Mick

On 28 May 2010 12:27, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Freitag 28 Mai 2010, Mick wrote:

>> > % whatis hdparm
>> > hdparm * * * * * * * (8) *- get/set SATA/ATA device parameters
>> >
>> > SATA is still ATA, using the same basic command set but over a different
>> > wire.
>>
>> Yes, hdparm will work with my drive, but the question is would I have a
>> benefit using it? *Other than what Paul said, is there another benefit e.g.
>> speed wise that I could derive from using hdparm
>
> no
>
>> or is the kernel on its
>> own enough to optimise the performance of the drive?
>
> yes

Thanks! :-)
Mick