Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 AM
James

Default Installing via GRML

Hello,

Over the last week, I read where many folks recommend installing
Gentoo using GRML.
Since I have a p3 (650Mz) system I'm installing to build a
small web server for a friend, I figured I check out installing
gentoo via GRML.

Does anyone know of a wiki or simple guide I can follow to do this?

James

Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 AM

James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Over the last week, I read where many folks recommend installing
> Gentoo using GRML.
> Since I have a p3 (650Mz) system I'm installing to build a
> small web server for a friend, I figured I check out installing
> gentoo via GRML.

People should make it a practice to spell out these acronyms at least
once per post. What is GRML?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Renat Golubchyk

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:03:39 -0600 reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Over the last week, I read where many folks recommend installing
> > Gentoo using GRML.
> > Since I have a p3 (650Mz) system I'm installing to build a
> > small web server for a friend, I figured I check out installing
> > gentoo via GRML.
>
> People should make it a practice to spell out these acronyms at least
> once per post. What is GRML?

Google is your friend. ;-)

http://grml.org/

Quote: "grml is a bootable CD (Live-CD) originally based on Knoppix and
nowadays based on Debian. grml includes a collection of GNU/Linux
software especially for system administrator and users of texttools."

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Wayn0

James wrote:

Hello,

Over the last week, I read where many folks recommend installing
Gentoo using GRML.
Since I have a p3 (650Mz) system I'm installing to build a
small web server for a friend, I figured I check out installing
gentoo via GRML.

Does anyone know of a wiki or simple guide I can follow to do this?

James

There is very little difference, you could use the standard gentoo
handbook.

Wayn0

Old 01-15-2008, 05:52 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2008 schrieb ext
gentoo-user+bounces-74032-dirk.heinrichs.ext=nsn.com@lists.gentoo.org:

> People should make it a practice to spell out these acronyms at least
> once per post. What is GRML?

Renat already told you what it is, here is what GRML means:
http://grml.org/faq/#whatmeans :-)

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Michael Schmarck

James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Over the last week, I read where many folks recommend installing
> Gentoo using GRML.
> Since I have a p3 (650Mz) system I'm installing to build a
> small web server for a friend, I figured I check out installing
> gentoo via GRML.
>
> Does anyone know of a wiki or simple guide I can follow to do this?

Sure. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

IOW: Use the original documentation. Chapter 2 is of course then
of no use, for the most part. The thing about hdparm and user
accounts is valid none the less, though.

Best regards,
Michael

Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Michael Schmarck

Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
"Jean-Baptiste Mestelan"

On 15/01/2008, Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@habmalnefrage.de> wrote:
> James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Over the last week, I read where many folks recommend installing
> > Gentoo using GRML.
> > Since I have a p3 (650Mz) system I'm installing to build a
> > small web server for a friend, I figured I check out installing
> > gentoo via GRML.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a wiki or simple guide I can follow to do this?
>
> Sure. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
>
> IOW: Use the original documentation. Chapter 2 is of course then
> of no use, for the most part. The thing about hdparm and user
> accounts is valid none the less, though.

I went through a new install process this week, using Kubuntu liveCD,
and indeed the original documentation applies OK.
Only one minor notice : the part about using 'mirrorselect' will not
work, as this tool will not included in an alternate liveCD, so you
will have to select the mirrors manually (check the syntax beforehand,
maybe).
Also, obviously, you will not be able to use genkernel and
automagically compile kernel (there could be other ways ?).

Cheers.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Jean-Baptiste Mestelan:

> Also, obviously, you will not be able to use genkernel and
> automagically compile kernel (there could be other ways ?).

make menuconfig && make && make modules_install, maybe? This always works,
on any distribution. I still wonder why they all invent their own, special
way of compiling a kernel.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
"Michael Schmarck"

Hello!

On Jan 15, 2008 1:54 PM, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/01/2008, Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@habmalnefrage.de> wrote:

[ Installing via GRML ]

> > IOW: Use the original documentation. Chapter 2 is of course then
> > of no use, for the most part. The thing about hdparm and user
> > accounts is valid none the less, though.
>
> I went through a new install process this week, using Kubuntu liveCD,
> and indeed the original documentation applies OK.
> Only one minor notice : the part about using 'mirrorselect' will not
> work, as this tool will not included in an alternate liveCD, so you
> will have to select the mirrors manually (check the syntax beforehand,
> maybe).

I don't quite understand. When you're installing stuff from
within Kubuntu (or whatever Live CD), you're in a Gentoo chroot.
Why can't you install mirrorselect there and run mirrorselect
in the chroot?

> Also, obviously, you will not be able to use genkernel and
> automagically compile kernel (there could be other ways ?).

Same question, basically. Why can't you run genkernel
in the chroot (I only used genkernel once, and then switched
back to compiling the kernel by myself)?

Michael