Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   danger-deep (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/376945-danger-deep.html)

Iain Buchanan 05-27-2010 12:50 AM

danger-deep
 
On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 17:45 +0000, James wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just had to share this.....
>
> So I read the Linux journal, mostly to do my
> part to keep publications about Linux alive.
> Occationally they write about something cool,
> though rarely related to Gentoo....

FTA:
The Web site provides a lovely binary installer that feels much
like that of a commercial game. You can compile the game from
source if you want, but would you really do that when you can
simply click Next, Next, Next?
*sigh*

> So I read about a very cool submarine game today
> on LJ:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/danger-deep
>
> Only to discover it's already in portage.
> KUDOS to the Gentoo game devs for being
> on top of this one........

Doesn't run here. Something to do with getting the available
resolutions:

SDL_Rect** modes = SDL_ListModes(NULL, SDL_FULLSCREEN|SDL_HWSURFACE);

must be returning nothing, because later when it tests the resolution it
wants to use against the resolutions available:

for (list<vector2i>::const_iterator it = available_resolutions.begin(); it != available_resolutions.end(); ++it) {
if (*it == vector2i(res_x_, res_y_)) {
ok = true;
break;
}
}
if (!ok)
throw invalid_argument("invalid resolution requested!");

I get the exception. No matter what res I specify on the command
line :(

$ dangerdeep
Caught exception: invalid resolution requested!

Anyone know about SDL?

thanks,
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

If you stand on your head, you will get footprints in your hair.

"Arttu V." 05-27-2010 11:18 AM

danger-deep
 
On 5/27/10, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 17:45 +0000, James wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I just had to share this.....
>>
>> So I read the Linux journal, mostly to do my
>> part to keep publications about Linux alive.
>> Occationally they write about something cool,
>> though rarely related to Gentoo....
>
> FTA:
> The Web site provides a lovely binary installer that feels much
> like that of a commercial game. You can compile the game from
> source if you want, but would you really do that when you can
> simply click Next, Next, Next?
> *sigh*
>
>> So I read about a very cool submarine game today
>> on LJ:
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/danger-deep
>>
>> Only to discover it's already in portage.
>> KUDOS to the Gentoo game devs for being
>> on top of this one........
>
> Doesn't run here. Something to do with getting the available
> resolutions:
>
> SDL_Rect** modes = SDL_ListModes(NULL, SDL_FULLSCREEN|SDL_HWSURFACE);
>
> must be returning nothing, because later when it tests the resolution it
> wants to use against the resolutions available:
>
> for (list<vector2i>::const_iterator it = available_resolutions.begin(); it
> != available_resolutions.end(); ++it) {
> if (*it == vector2i(res_x_, res_y_)) {
> ok = true;
> break;
> }
> }
> if (!ok)
> throw invalid_argument("invalid resolution requested!");
>
> I get the exception. No matter what res I specify on the command
> line :(
>
> $ dangerdeep
> Caught exception: invalid resolution requested!
>
> Anyone know about SDL?

I really don't, but I'm just wondering if you are looking at the 0.3.0
source tarball code or their svn trunk? system.cpp is quite different
in the trunk, including changes which probably should add support for
"less common" screen sizes and modes.

--
Arttu V.

Grant Edwards 05-27-2010 01:38 PM

danger-deep
 
On 2010-05-27, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>> So I read about a very cool submarine game today
>> on LJ:
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/danger-deep
>>
>> Only to discover it's already in portage.
>> KUDOS to the Gentoo game devs for being
>> on top of this one........
>
> Doesn't run here. Something to do with getting the available
> resolutions:

I've tried several times over the past couple years to get dangerdeep
going. I can get it to run briefly, but it always crashes if I try
to do much of anything. I've pretty much given up on it.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Give them RADAR-GUIDED
at SKEE-BALL LANES and
gmail.com VELVEETA BURRITOS!!

Iain Buchanan 05-28-2010 12:56 AM

danger-deep
 
On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 14:18 +0300, Arttu V. wrote:
> On 5/27/10, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> > Doesn't run here. Something to do with getting the available
> > resolutions:
> >

> > Anyone know about SDL?
>
> I really don't, but I'm just wondering if you are looking at the 0.3.0
> source tarball code or their svn trunk? system.cpp is quite different
> in the trunk, including changes which probably should add support for
> "less common" screen sizes and modes.

0.3.0. I just emerged the version in portage. I might try svn later
(when I'm not at work ;)

--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.
-- Franklin P. Jones


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.