Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default howto increase INODE

On Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010, kitti jaisong wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just install sparc machine. i found error "failed: No space left on
> device (28)" when i check inode by df -i command

don't hijack other people's threads.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Alex Schuster

kitti jaisong writes:

> I just install sparc machine. i found error "failed: No space left on
> device (28)" when i check inode by df -i command
[...]
> /dev/sda4 2.0G 952M 963M 50% /mnt/gentoo/usr
> /dev/sda5 2.0G 83M 1.8G 5% /mnt/gentoo/var
> /dev/sda6 29G 173M 27G 1% /mnt/gentoo/home
>
> How to increase or solve this problem

2 GB for a /usr partition looks quite small to me, but may by okay for a
small installation. But to increase the number of inodes, you have backup
/usr, re-create the partition with more inodes, and copy the stuff back.

If you do not want to do so, you could move things to your home partition.
I'd move /usr/portage first (and change the location in make.conf), that
has many small files eating up many inodes. And if space is still getting
small, just move other things like/usr/src, and set a symlink so /usr/src
is still a valid path.

Oh, and please:
- Do not hijack threads.
- Do not quote stuff that has absolutely no relevance, like the
original posting you replied to, instead of starting a new one.

[BIG SNIP!]

Wonko