Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 AM

Default Harddisk trouble ... or not yet?

Hi,

currently I set up a freshly new gentoo system "from scratch"
on another harddisk.

For that purpose I have two WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (pasted from
hdparm -i) harddisk (1TB, advanced format 4096 kb sectors).
One harddisk is currently holding the gento system, the other
one is intended as a bare plain copy of the other one (a backup
while setting up the system).

With an old KNOPPIX dvd I tried to copy the first hd onto
the other one with

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8192

which gave me a LOT of I/O errors after a short time.

Still hopeing, that my hardware (motherboard/chipset/bios) and
the hd are ok I am trying to figure out, what the reason was
for that...

My motherboard is an Asus AV8.

From what kernel version the new advanced format
of the hd is fully supported ?

Are there other reasons -- beside defective hardware -- for
the failing dd and how can I fix them ?

best regards
mcc

Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

don't use df. Use cp -a.

Also, the exact errors would be helpfull.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-05-26, meino.cramer@gmx.de <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:

> [...] I have two WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (pasted from
> hdparm -i) harddisk (1TB, advanced format 4096 kb sectors).
>[...]
>
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8192
>
> which gave me a LOT of I/O errors after a short time.
>
>[...]
>
> From what kernel version the new advanced format
> of the hd is fully supported ?

My understanding is that the new format doesn't cause I/O errors, just
slower transfer rates if you format with disk clusters that aren't
aligned on 4K boundaries. I'm not aware of any "support" in the
kernel.

> Are there other reasons -- beside defective hardware -- for
> the failing dd and how can I fix them ?

In my experience, I/O errors have always been hardware problems
(usually a failing drive, but it could also be a faulty cable or
connector).

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! PIZZA!!
at

Old 05-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> [10-05-26 17:19]:
> On 2010-05-26, meino.cramer@gmx.de <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > [...] I have two WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (pasted from
> > hdparm -i) harddisk (1TB, advanced format 4096 kb sectors).
> >[...]
> >
> > dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8192
> >
> > which gave me a LOT of I/O errors after a short time.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> > From what kernel version the new advanced format
> > of the hd is fully supported ?
>
> My understanding is that the new format doesn't cause I/O errors, just
> slower transfer rates if you format with disk clusters that aren't
> aligned on 4K boundaries. I'm not aware of any "support" in the
> kernel.
>
> > Are there other reasons -- beside defective hardware -- for
> > the failing dd and how can I fix them ?
>
> In my experience, I/O errors have always been hardware problems
> (usually a failing drive, but it could also be a faulty cable or
> connector).
>
> --
> Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! PIZZA!!
> at
> gmail.com

Hi

If it happens again, I will try to save the error list and post it
here...

May be: The WD-harddiscs are SATA2 my controllers are "only" SATA1...
is it this, which cause the problems?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> [10-05-26 17:19]:
> > On 2010-05-26, meino.cramer@gmx.de <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > > [...] I have two WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (pasted from
> > > hdparm -i) harddisk (1TB, advanced format 4096 kb sectors).
> > >
> > >[...]
> > >
> > > dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8192
> > >
> > > which gave me a LOT of I/O errors after a short time.
> > >
> > >[...]
> > >
> > > From what kernel version the new advanced format
> > > of the hd is fully supported ?
> >
> > My understanding is that the new format doesn't cause I/O errors, just
> > slower transfer rates if you format with disk clusters that aren't
> > aligned on 4K boundaries. I'm not aware of any "support" in the
> > kernel.
> >
> > > Are there other reasons -- beside defective hardware -- for
> > > the failing dd and how can I fix them ?
> >
> > In my experience, I/O errors have always been hardware problems
> > (usually a failing drive, but it could also be a faulty cable or
> > connector).
>
> Hi
>
> If it happens again, I will try to save the error list and post it
> here...
>
> May be: The WD-harddiscs are SATA2 my controllers are "only" SATA1...
> is it this, which cause the problems?
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

usually it shouldn't.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 26 May 2010 19:59:32 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > May be: The WD-harddiscs are SATA2 my controllers are "only" SATA1...
> > is it this, which cause the problems?

> usually it shouldn't.

It has done for me in the past. SATA2 drives usually have a jumper to
switch them to SATA1.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q-Tip: When an omnipotent alien gives you advice.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 19:59:32 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > > May be: The WD-harddiscs are SATA2 my controllers are "only" SATA1...
> > > is it this, which cause the problems?
> >
> > usually it shouldn't.
>
> It has done for me in the past. SATA2 drives usually have a jumper to
> switch them to SATA1.

that is why I used 'usually' and 'shouldn't'. But that is not a sata1 or sata2
jumper but a speed jumper.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:13:06 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> that is why I used 'usually' and 'shouldn't'.

Have you considered a career in politics? ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 AM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [10-05-27 02:04]:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:13:06 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>
> > that is why I used 'usually' and 'shouldn't'.
>
> Have you considered a career in politics? ;-)
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

Oh, uhh...I did not want to start a political discussion here... ;O)

In the meantime I did the copy thingy ("dd if=....") again with
a new KNOPPIX dvd (kernel 2.6.32.something) and it copied the
whole disk in 204min without a single I/O error.

Now I did not know exactly what think about it...
(which again is like politics

Is there any way to check the disk without damaging its
contents?

best regards,
mcc

Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 AM