Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Removing some retro-isms...

Hi,

Currently I am rebuilding a shiny new Gentoo-system on another
harddisk "from scratch".

I think my "old" system have some retro designs and obsoleted
mechanisms, because they still work for me and I was too busy
with other things, whih quit to work

My old system uses:
- Autofs: for conveniently haveing access directories which mounts
things like external harddiscs, usb-sticks, mp3-player, my digicam
and such.
(No, I DONT like "real" automounters" which tries to mount in
that moment, when a device is plugged in. Using the moment of
access to a specific directory as trigger for the mount comand
is the way to go (at least for me ...BUT: only my two cent...)

- Encfs to encrypt partitions AND to be able to burn the encoded
stuff on DVD and mount and use the DVD instead of the partition.

My system will be a one-user-desktop system and I will be root and
the user.

I prefer a system, which works and does exactly what told over a
system which tries to guess my thoughts ... and will fail therefore.

Is there anything better, less old or preferable according to both
mechanisms mentioned above?

Best regards and thank a lot for any help in advance!
mcc

Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 25 May 2010 19:58:40 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> - Encfs to encrypt partitions AND to be able to burn the encoded
> stuff on DVD and mount and use the DVD instead of the partition.

Use ecryptfs, it's in the kernel instead of using FUSE.

--
Neil Bothwick

Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist ?