Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Default fluxbox startup

Hello

After an upgrade about a week ago my fluxbox stopped beeing launched at the xdm startup
after I log on. Fluxbox starts with no problem using startx command.

My /etc/rc.conf has the following entry:
XSESSION="fluxbox"

My /etc/conf.d/xdm has the following entry:
DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"

My ~/.xinitrc has the following entry:
exec startfluxbox

Any suggestions what is wrong with my config are appreciated.

Great thanks for help.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Mick

2010/5/25 <fajfusio@wp.pl>:
> Hello
>
> After an upgrade about a week ago my fluxbox stopped beeing launched at the
> xdm startup
> after I log on. Fluxbox starts with no problem using startx command.
>
> My /etc/rc.conf has the following entry:
> XSESSION="fluxbox"

This entry seems to be used when you run startx from the console,
that's why you can launch fluxbox when you run startx. Of course the
question is what did you emerge recently and which configuration files
did that change. If you use genlop to check your emerge history (or
look in /var/log/emerge.log) that may give some pointers.

> My /etc/conf.d/xdm has the following entry:
> DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"
>
> My ~/.xinitrc has the following entry:
> exec startfluxbox
>
> Any suggestions what is wrong with my config are appreciated.

None of the above are 'wrong' as such. They are sourced by startx.

The question then is what is gdm parsing to find which sessions to
launch. Display Managers usually check what you have in:

/etc/X11/Sessions/

and offer these as a session option to login. I think that gdm is
probably looking in /usr/share/xsessions/* where it expects to find
fluxbox.desktop and will offer this as a login session option (not
sure because I do not have gdm to check).

Display Manager may also look to see if the environment variable
XSESSION is set. Therefore you can try setting this in
/etc/env.d/90xsession like this, just in case it is sourced:

XSESSION="fluxbox"

PS. You may need to reboot for good measure.
Mick

Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 25 May 2010 09:10:18 fajfusio@wp.pl wrote:
> border-left: #cccccc 1px solid;} p {margin: 0px;padding: 0px;} </style>
> beeing launched at the xdm startup<br />after I log on. Fluxbox starts
> with no problem using startx command.<br /><br />My /etc/rc.conf has the
> what is wrong with my config are appreciated.<br /><br />Great thanks for
> help.</p><br />

$ cat /etc/env.d/90xsession
XSESSION="fluxbox"
Mick

Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Madhurya Kakati

The xdm conf file has display manager as gdm. I guess changing that to
xdm would help.

--
Sent from my mobile device

Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 AM
Madhurya Kakati

--
Sent from my mobile device

Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Mick

On Thursday 27 May 2010 03:53:48 Madhurya Kakati wrote:
> The xdm conf file has display manager as gdm. I guess changing that to
> xdm would help.

No it won't.

/etc/init.d/xdm will launch whichever DISPLAYMANAGER="" you have set up in
/etc/conf.d/xdm.
Mick