Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Mick

Default The most legal way to specify slim and openbox as session?

Your login manager (usually called Display Manager) is to be
configured in /etc/conf.d/xdm:

# What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | kdm-4.3 | gpe
| entrance ]
# NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
#
# KDE-specific note:
# - If you are using kdeprefix go with "kdm-4.Y", e.g. "kdm-4.3".
# You can find possible versions by looking at the directories in /usr/kde/.
# - Else, if you are using KDE 3 enter "kdm-3.5"
# - Else, if you are using KDE 4 enter "kdm" without a version
DISPLAYMANAGER="slim"

The session manager should either be set in /etc/rc.conf:

XSESSION="openbox"

and/or in /etc/env.d/90xsession:

XSESSION="openbox"

depending on which version of baselayout you have.

HTH.

On 24 May 2010 12:49, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently I am on the way to setup a complete fresh Gentoo
> system.
>
> I want a plain no-KDE and no-GNOME sessionmanager system
> and want to use openbox a my window manager.
>
> As login manager I choose slim.
>
> Where is the most legal place to define both as login
> manager and as session?
>
> By the way:
> The stable version of nvidia-settings and nvidia-drivers
> are not compatible as nvidia-settings failed to compile.
> I have to unmask both with ~x86 to get a compatible
> combo. But this bug has been filed previously...
>
> Best regards,
> mcc
>
> --
> Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
> unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
> In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.

Mick