Old 05-23-2010, 12:20 PM
"W.Kenworthy"

Default bluetooth headset and espeak

I have set up sound to a jabra halo bluetooth headset and it works using
"mplayer -ao alsa:device=bluetooth soundfile". This works fine for apps
like mplayer which can specify the right output device.

However, I want to use espeak (in a console) to play back text files -
its a good method to check grammar - but I cant get it working? It
works out of the box on a nokia n900, but I cant figure out how to get
gentoo (gnome desktop) to do it. espeak doesnt support specifying a
sound device that I can see - it uses portaudio which is supposed to
work with alsa bluetooth but how?

It looks like bluez is continually changing so most of the guides Ive
found dont apply - I am using bluez-4.39. alsamixer etc dont list the
bluetooth device and I cant see it in /proc/asound, but its obviously
there if mplayer can access it!

BillK

bunyip linux # hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:02:C7:E5:A1:65 ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:199720 acl:43 sco:0 events:28229 errors:0
TX bytes:23638521 acl:82313 sco:0 commands:59 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8b 0xfe 0x9b 0xf9 0x00 0x80
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'bunyip-0'
Class: 0x4a210c
Service Classes: Networking, Capturing, Telephony
Device Class: Computer, Laptop
HCI Ver: 2.0 (0x3) HCI Rev: 0x77b LMP Ver: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subver: 0x77b
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

bunyip linux # hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:02:C7:E5:A1:65 ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 19.2
Chip version: BlueCore4-External
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

Old 05-23-2010, 05:15 PM
walt

I have set up sound to a jabra halo bluetooth headset and it works using
"mplayer -ao alsa:device=bluetooth soundfile". This works fine for apps
like mplayer which can specify the right output device...

I know nothing about bluetooth except that the kernel does have quite a
few different bluetooth-related items in the config menu. Have you checked
your kernel config for things that may need to be added? Don't ask me what

Old 05-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 7:20 AM, W.Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
[...]
> It looks like bluez is continually changing so most of the guides Ive
> found dont apply - I am using bluez-4.39. *alsamixer etc dont list the
> bluetooth device and I cant see it in /proc/asound, but its obviously
> there if mplayer can access it!

With:

gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2
net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth-2.28.6
media-sound/pulseaudio-0.9.21.1

You only go to System->Preferences->Bluetooh, "Set new device...",
detect and connect yo your headset, and then System->Sound, in the
output tab you select your headset, and all the PulseAudio
applications will output sound through your headset.

If also you have

pcm.!default {
type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

in your ~/.asoundrc, all the ALSA applications will use PulseAudio,
and then it will work for them too.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Instituto de Matemáticas

Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Bill Kenworthy

espeak is not a pulse audio application but uses portaudio - something
quite different.

I dont have pulseaudio installed and seeing all the bad things people
say about it on other distributions I am leary about installing it on an
otherwise working system without good cause.

Note that as mentioned previously I have audio through the headset
already via mplayer, just not with espeak.

BillK