Old 05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
"Walter Dnes"

Default revdep-rebuild looking for non-existant dev-libs/poppler

I'm doing "revdep-rebuild --library libjpeg.so.7". It finds broken
packages, It gets to the point of...
* Generated new 4_raw.rr and 4_owners.rr
* Cleaning list of packages to rebuild
* Generated new 4_pkgs.rr
* Assigning packages to ebuilds
* Generated new 4_ebuilds.rr
* Evaluating package order
* Generated new 5_order.rr
* All prepared. Starting rebuild
emerge --oneshot app-text/ghostscript-gpl:0
app-text/wv:0
dev-libs/poppler:0
media-gfx/gimp:2
media-gfx/graphviz:0
media-libs/gd:2
media-libs/gegl:0
media-libs/imlib2:0
media-libs/libmng:0
media-libs/libwmf:0
media-video/mplayer:0
x11-libs/openmotif:0
x11-libs/qt:3
Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-libs/poppler:0".

The obvious first step is "equery depends dev-libs/poppler" ...which
finds absolutely nothing. No hits from the commands...
grep poppler /etc/portage/package.*
grep poppler /etc/make.conf

Not only that, but there doesn't appear to be a dev-libs/poppler in my
portage tree. Now what?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 05-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Brandon Vargo

On Sat, 2010-05-22 at 17:44 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> I'm doing "revdep-rebuild --library libjpeg.so.7". It finds broken
> packages, It gets to the point of...
> * Generated new 4_raw.rr and 4_owners.rr
> * Cleaning list of packages to rebuild
> * Generated new 4_pkgs.rr
> * Assigning packages to ebuilds
> * Generated new 4_ebuilds.rr
> * Evaluating package order
> * Generated new 5_order.rr
> * All prepared. Starting rebuild
> emerge --oneshot app-text/ghostscript-gpl:0
> app-text/wv:0
> dev-libs/poppler:0
> media-gfx/gimp:2
> media-gfx/graphviz:0
> media-libs/gd:2
> media-libs/gegl:0
> media-libs/imlib2:0
> media-libs/libmng:0
> media-libs/libwmf:0
> media-video/mplayer:0
> x11-libs/openmotif:0
> x11-libs/qt:3
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-libs/poppler:0".
> ================================================== ===========
>
> The obvious first step is "equery depends dev-libs/poppler" ...which
> finds absolutely nothing. No hits from the commands...
> grep poppler /etc/portage/package.*
> grep poppler /etc/make.conf
>
> Not only that, but there doesn't appear to be a dev-libs/poppler in my
> portage tree. Now what?

The old poppler ebuilds (dev-libs/poppler*) were reunited and became
app-text/poppler awhile back. The old poppler ebuilds should not be
referenced anywhere, but apparently they still are on your system
somewhere. Try remerging app-text/poppler manually (using --oneshot, so
it isn't added to world), then running revdep-rebuild again.

Make sure you have run emerge --sync recently, so that the portage cache
is up to date and any global updates have been applied. You could also
try removing the revdep-rebuild cache files
in /var/cache/revdep-rebuild/, but according to the output you included,
the package atoms are not coming from the cache.

Regards,

Brandon Vargo

Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 04:55:37PM -0600, Brandon Vargo wrote

> The old poppler ebuilds (dev-libs/poppler*) were reunited and became
> app-text/poppler awhile back. The old poppler ebuilds should not be
> referenced anywhere, but apparently they still are on your system
> somewhere. Try remerging app-text/poppler manually (using --oneshot, so
> it isn't added to world), then running revdep-rebuild again.
>
> Make sure you have run emerge --sync recently, so that the portage cache
> is up to date and any global updates have been applied. You could also
> try removing the revdep-rebuild cache files
> in /var/cache/revdep-rebuild/, but according to the output you included,
> the package atoms are not coming from the cache.

Thank you very much. That problem has been taken care of. I last
updated my backup machine a few weeks ago, which is why it has ancient
stuff on it. There's a lot of stuff in /var/log/portage/elog to plow
through. I wonder what other problems I'll discover.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>