-   -   Can't get PulseAudio to work (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/374595-cant-get-pulseaudio-work.html)

Nikos Chantziaras 05-22-2010 09:29 AM

Can't get PulseAudio to work

I decided to test PulseAudio on Gentoo since someone claimed the reason
PulseAudio has a "it blows chunks" reputation because of Ubuntu shipping
it with a broken configuration.

So, I did:

USE="alsa pulseaudio -oss" emerge -auDNl --with-bdeps=y world

This installed PulseAudio and rebuilt all applications to drop OSS
support and use ALSA or Pulse instead.

I also took a look at this:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio

and did the "usermod -a -G plugdev pulse" thing.

I rebooted with an ALSA-enabled kernel and with OSSv4 completely
removed. But it doesn't work; everything can use ALSA OK, but not PA.
For example, "mplayer -ao pulse video.mkv" says:

socket(): Address family not supported by protocol

What now?

Volker Armin Hemmann 05-22-2010 09:34 AM

Can't get PulseAudio to work

On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> This installed PulseAudio and rebuilt all applications to drop OSS
> support and use ALSA or Pulse instead.

sure?

Nikos Chantziaras 05-22-2010 10:35 AM

Can't get PulseAudio to work