Old 05-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default Emerge building a binary from installed package

On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think there is a way to do this but it's not sticking out at me on the
> emerge man page. I'm doing a install and want to build a binary package
> from my running system and install it on the new install. Basically, I
> don't want to recompile, I just want emerge to copy the correct files
> and make a tarball for me.
>
> I found the buildpkg option but that seems to compile it first then make
> a tarball. Can I get it to skip the compile part? Is that a option
> that portage has?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

quickpkg.

Which has been mentioned hundreds of times on this list alone.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Dale wrote:

Hi,

I think there is a way to do this but it's not sticking out at me on the
emerge man page. I'm doing a install and want to build a binary package
from my running system and install it on the new install. Basically, I
don't want to recompile, I just want emerge to copy the correct files
and make a tarball for me.

I found the buildpkg option but that seems to compile it first then make
a tarball. Can I get it to skip the compile part? Is that a option
that portage has?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

quickpkg.

Which has been mentioned hundreds of times on this list alone.

That's not portage but it will work just fine and is what I am looking
for. I just need to read the right man page next time. ;-)

Thanks much.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Crístian Viana

yes it is, quickpkg is part of sys-apps/portage :-)
$ equery b /usr/sbin/quickpkg** Searching for /usr/sbin/quickpkg ...*sys-apps/portage-2.1.8.3 (/usr/lib64/portage/bin/quickpkg)

sys-apps/portage-2.1.8.3 (/usr/sbin/quickpkg -> ../lib64/portage/bin/quickpkg)
I think there is a way to do this but it's not sticking out at me on the

emerge man page. *I'm doing a install and want to build a binary package

from my running system and install it on the new install. *Basically, I

don't want to recompile, I just want emerge to copy the correct files

and make a tarball for me.

I found the buildpkg option but that seems to compile it first then make

a tarball. *Can I get it to skip the compile part? *Is that a option

that portage has?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) *:-)

* *

*

Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Dale

Crístian Viana wrote:

yes it is, quickpkg is part of sys-apps/portage :-)

$ equery b /usr/sbin/quickpkg
* Searching for /usr/sbin/quickpkg ...
sys-apps/portage-2.1.8.3 (/usr/lib64/portage/bin/quickpkg)
sys-apps/portage-2.1.8.3 (/usr/sbin/quickpkg ->
../lib64/portage/bin/quickpkg)

Allow me to clarify then. It's not emerge. I was looking at the emerge
man page. Obviously I was looking in the wrong place tho. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Allan Gottlieb

At Sat, 22 May 2010 12:15:27 -0500 Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Crístian Viana wrote:
>> yes it is, quickpkg is part of sys-apps/portage :-)
>>
>> $ equery b /usr/sbin/quickpkg
>> * Searching for /usr/sbin/quickpkg ...
>> sys-apps/portage-2.1.8.3 (/usr/lib64/portage/bin/quickpkg)
>> sys-apps/portage-2.1.8.3 (/usr/sbin/quickpkg ->
>> ../lib64/portage/bin/quickpkg)
>>

> Allow me to clarify then. It's not emerge. I was looking at the
> emerge man page. Obviously I was looking in the wrong place tho. ;-)

emerge --buildpkg

allan

Old 05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Dale

Allan Gottlieb wrote:

yes it is, quickpkg is part of sys-apps/portage :-)

$ equery b /usr/sbin/quickpkg
* Searching for /usr/sbin/quickpkg ...
sys-apps/portage-2.1.8.3 (/usr/lib64/portage/bin/quickpkg)
sys-apps/portage-2.1.8.3 (/usr/sbin/quickpkg ->
../lib64/portage/bin/quickpkg)

Allow me to clarify then. It's not emerge. I was looking at the
emerge man page. Obviously I was looking in the wrong place tho. ;-)

emerge --buildpkg

allan

That compiles it first tho. I was trying to avoid that.

I am still ending up having to compile it tho. KDE won't start for some
crazy reason. Heck, startx doesn't even work. I think it missed
something somewhere.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:54:31 -0500, Dale wrote:

> I am still ending up having to compile it tho. KDE won't start for
> some crazy reason. Heck, startx doesn't even work. I think it missed
> something somewhere.

USE="hal"?

SCNR

--