Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default Preventing a shared interrupt

if your mobo does not supporting re-assigning interrupts: you can't.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Grant

> if your mobo does not supporting re-assigning interrupts: you can't.

Would that be done in the BIOS? There is a list of interrupts in the
BIOS and I can select either "Unassigned" or "Reserved" I think. What
affect will reserving an interrupt have?

- Grant

Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 21 Mai 2010, Grant wrote:
> > if your mobo does not supporting re-assigning interrupts: you can't.
>
> Would that be done in the BIOS? There is a list of interrupts in the
> BIOS and I can select either "Unassigned" or "Reserved" I think. What
> affect will reserving an interrupt have?
>
> - Grant

I really don't know. Ask the support of your vendor

Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Grant

>> > if your mobo does not supporting re-assigning interrupts: you can't.
>>
>> Would that be done in the BIOS? *There is a list of interrupts in the
>> BIOS and I can select either "Unassigned" or "Reserved" I think. *What
>> affect will reserving an interrupt have?
>>
>> - Grant
>
> I really don't know. Ask the support of your vendor

Fair enough. Can you tell me why a motherboard would assign 2 devices
to the same IRQ when there are obviously many free ones? Is it just
bad implementation?

- Grant

Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

> >> Would that be done in the BIOS? There is a list of interrupts in the
> >> BIOS and I can select either "Unassigned" or "Reserved" I think. What
> >> affect will reserving an interrupt have?
> >>
> >> - Grant
> >
> > I really don't know. Ask the support of your vendor
>
> Fair enough. Can you tell me why a motherboard would assign 2 devices
> to the same IRQ when there are obviously many free ones? Is it just
> bad implementation?
>
> - Grant

because interrupt sharing is not a problem anymore?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Would that be done in the BIOS? There is a list of interrupts in the
>>> BIOS and I can select either "Unassigned" or "Reserved" I think. What
>>> affect will reserving an interrupt have?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> I really don't know. Ask the support of your vendor
>
> Fair enough. Can you tell me why a motherboard would assign 2 devices
> to the same IRQ when there are obviously many free ones? Is it just
> bad implementation?

Looks like you have MSI support, so probably your hardware isn't
ancient enough for interrupt sharing to be a problem in the first
place.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Grant

>>> I really don't know. Ask the support of your vendor
>>
>> Fair enough. *Can you tell me why a motherboard would assign 2 devices
>> to the same IRQ when there are obviously many free ones? *Is it just
>> bad implementation?
>
> Looks like you have MSI support, so probably your hardware isn't
> ancient enough for interrupt sharing to be a problem in the first
> place.

OK. Do higher numbered IRQ's have priority over lower numbered ones?
I'm starting a new project where I'll build a super-minimal Gentoo
system and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about optimizing for
performance.

- Grant

Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Adam

> Does anyone know how to prevent my "nouveau" video card and "ath" wifi
> card from sharing interrupt 19? I can't move the video card slot and
> I'd rather not move the wifi card slot if possible.
>
> BTW, does anyone see any other opportunity for interrupt optimization
> here? I'm trying to optimize for video and especially audio, and I'm
> using a USB 1.0 sound card.
>
> # cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 473139 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 2 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 7: 1 IO-APIC-edge
> 8: 127 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
> 9: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
> 12: 3 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 14: 0 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 19: 135597 IO-APIC-fasteoi nouveau, ath
> 20: 2 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2
> 21: 13860 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1
> 22: 971970 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb4
> 23: 3446 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3
> 28: 21524 PCI-MSI-edge ahci

FWIW a grep of the nouveau source doesnt bring up any hits on MSI, so it
looks like the driver doesnt support it yet. Likewise no hits for ath5k,
however ath9k does support it.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Grant

>> Does anyone know how to prevent my "nouveau" video card and "ath" wifi
>> card from sharing interrupt 19? *I can't move the video card slot and
>> I'd rather not move the wifi card slot if possible.
>>
>> BTW, does anyone see any other opportunity for interrupt optimization
>> here? *I'm trying to optimize for video and especially audio, and I'm
>> using a USB 1.0 sound card.
>>
>> # cat /proc/interrupts
>> * * * * * *CPU0
>> * 0: * * 473139 * IO-APIC-edge * * *timer
>> * 1: * * * * *2 * IO-APIC-edge * * *i8042
>> * 7: * * * * *1 * IO-APIC-edge
>> * 8: * * * *127 * IO-APIC-edge * * *rtc0
>> * 9: * * * * *0 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * acpi
>> *12: * * * * *3 * IO-APIC-edge * * *i8042
>> *14: * * * * *0 * IO-APIC-edge * * *ide0
>> *19: * * 135597 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * nouveau, ath
>> *20: * * * * *2 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * ehci_hcd:usb2
>> *21: * * *13860 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * ehci_hcd:usb1
>> *22: * * 971970 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * ohci_hcd:usb4
>> *23: * * * 3446 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * ohci_hcd:usb3
>> *28: * * *21524 * PCI-MSI-edge * * *ahci
>
> FWIW a grep of the nouveau source doesnt bring up any hits on MSI, so it
> looks like the driver doesnt support it yet. Likewise no hits for ath5k,
> however ath9k does support it.

Nice, thanks Adam. Sounds like ath9k is the way out.

- Grant

Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Grant

>>> Does anyone know how to prevent my "nouveau" video card and "ath" wifi
>>> card from sharing interrupt 19? *I can't move the video card slot and
>>> I'd rather not move the wifi card slot if possible.
>>>
>>> BTW, does anyone see any other opportunity for interrupt optimization
>>> here? *I'm trying to optimize for video and especially audio, and I'm
>>> using a USB 1.0 sound card.
>>>
>>> # cat /proc/interrupts
>>> * * * * * *CPU0
>>> * 0: * * 473139 * IO-APIC-edge * * *timer
>>> * 1: * * * * *2 * IO-APIC-edge * * *i8042
>>> * 7: * * * * *1 * IO-APIC-edge
>>> * 8: * * * *127 * IO-APIC-edge * * *rtc0
>>> * 9: * * * * *0 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * acpi
>>> *12: * * * * *3 * IO-APIC-edge * * *i8042
>>> *14: * * * * *0 * IO-APIC-edge * * *ide0
>>> *19: * * 135597 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * nouveau, ath
>>> *20: * * * * *2 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * ehci_hcd:usb2
>>> *21: * * *13860 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * ehci_hcd:usb1
>>> *22: * * 971970 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * ohci_hcd:usb4
>>> *23: * * * 3446 * IO-APIC-fasteoi * ohci_hcd:usb3
>>> *28: * * *21524 * PCI-MSI-edge * * *ahci
>>
>> FWIW a grep of the nouveau source doesnt bring up any hits on MSI, so it
>> looks like the driver doesnt support it yet. Likewise no hits for ath5k,
>> however ath9k does support it.
>
> Nice, thanks Adam. *Sounds like ath9k is the way out.
>
> - Grant

Ah nevermind, I guess ath9k is 802.11n only. Maybe they'll add MSI
support to ath5k.

- Grant