Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Willie Wong

Default Intel KMS LVDS; was X crashes, how to troubleshoot?

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:37:16AM -0400, Willie Wong wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 01:21:01AM +0700, Ngoc Nguyen Bao wrote:
> > Seems that you also suffer problem with Intel driver and kernel
> > 2.6.32. Upgrade your xf86-video-intel to v2.11.0 may help.
>
> Actually, I am still on kernel 2.6.30; with .32 something's not quite
> right with the KMS and on boot my laptop's LCD is not detected. I'll
> try 2.11.0 to see if it also fixes my problem.

Just as an aside, my issue with the 2.6.32 kernels turns out to be a
bios bug: the bios reports the lid to my netbook is closed even when
it is open (cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state shows 'closed'). Now
starting kernel 2.6.32 apparently the KMS was 'fixed' to trust the
bios reporting, hence it does not think *any* computer display is
attached to the computer.

This leads to a kernel error on boot and a blank screen.

Anyway, Pablo (whoever you are: thanks!), a gentoo user, commented on
a Ubuntu bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/515246/comments/55
and provided the RTFM response: apparently we can override the bios by
passing a suitable boot parameter to explicitly enable the LCD display
on the laptop.

With this now I'll be able to upgrade to a newer version of the kernel
and test out the new intel X drivers.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton