-   -   corefonts being depcleaned? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/373019-corefonts-being-depcleaned.html)

Dale 05-19-2010 02:10 AM

corefonts being depcleaned?

Hi,

I updated a bit ago, it updated a few packages and while I was sitting
here I thought I would run --depclean and see if anything needed
cleaning. I got this list of packages:

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

media-fonts/corefonts
selected: 1-r4
protected: none
omitted: none

app-misc/hal-cups-utils
selected: 0.6.19
protected: none
omitted: none

app-arch/cabextract
selected: 1.2-r1
protected: none
omitted: none

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

Packages installed: 978
Packages in world: 117
Packages in system: 50
Required packages: 975
Number to remove: 3
root@smoker ~ #

The corefonts is sort of odd. I thought that was a system package, or
at least it was. Is this correct? I don't want to remove this unless
something else has replaced it or something. Anybody else removed this
with no ill effects?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

walt 05-19-2010 03:03 AM

On 05/18/2010 07:10 PM, Dale wrote:

Hi,

I updated a bit ago, it updated a few packages and while I was sitting here I thought I would run --depclean and see if anything needed cleaning. I got this list of packages:

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

media-fonts/corefonts
selected: 1-r4
protected: none
omitted: none
The corefonts is sort of odd. I thought that was a system package, or at least it was. Is this correct? I don't want to remove this unless something else has replaced it or something. Anybody else removed this with no ill effects?

I updated about 16 hours ago and got no such pronouncement. The corefonts package has
both the x86 and amd64 KEYWORDS (well, as of 16 hours ago) so I would be very slow to
remove it. Some of my favorite fonts come from that package, even if it is from The
Other Leading Operating System.

Neil Bothwick 05-19-2010 09:41 AM

On Tue, 18 May 2010 21:10:22 -0500, Dale wrote:

> The corefonts is sort of odd. I thought that was a system package, or
> at least it was. Is this correct?

No, it was installed as a dependency of something else that either is
no longer installed or no longer requires corefonts. Here it's pulled in
by

% emerge --depclean -pv media-fonts/corefonts

Calculating dependencies... done!
media-fonts/corefonts-1-r4 pulled in by:
app-emulation/wine-1.1.44
media-tv/mythtv-0.22_p24255
net-analyzer/ntop-3.3.10-r2
www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.0.45.2-r1

> I don't want to remove this unless
> something else has replaced it or something. Anybody else removed this
> with no ill effects?

You're not going to break your system by removing a few optional fonts.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error #09: Game Over. Exiting Windows.

Dale 05-19-2010 07:22 PM

Neil Bothwick wrote:

The corefonts is sort of odd. I thought that was a system package, or
at least it was. Is this correct?

No, it was installed as a dependency of something else that either is
no longer installed or no longer requires corefonts. Here it's pulled in
by

% emerge --depclean -pv media-fonts/corefonts

Calculating dependencies... done!
media-fonts/corefonts-1-r4 pulled in by:
app-emulation/wine-1.1.44
media-tv/mythtv-0.22_p24255
net-analyzer/ntop-3.3.10-r2
www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.0.45.2-r1

I don't want to remove this unless
something else has replaced it or something. Anybody else removed this
with no ill effects?

You're not going to break your system by removing a few optional fonts.

These fonts have been on here for so long that I thought they were
something that the console used or some other system package needed.
After all, console has to have a font right? I just didn't want to
remove this, reboot and get a error that console has no fonts to display
or some such message. Then again, no fonts, maybe no message at all. lol

Now to see if I want these fonts and add them to the world file. I like
fonts. Try to keep a bunch of them lying around.

Dale

:-) :-)

Paul Hartman 05-19-2010 07:32 PM

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> These fonts have been on here for so long that I thought they were something
> that the console used or some other system package needed. After all,
> console has to have a font right? I just didn't want to remove this, reboot
> and get a error that console has no fonts to display or some such message.
> Then again, no fonts, maybe no message at all. lol
>
> Now to see if I want these fonts and add them to the world file. I like
> fonts. Try to keep a bunch of them lying around.

Corefonts are the Microsoft "core web fonts". Certainly not a system
package. Some websites might look funny without them, though. And if
you're using WINE they are probably a good thing to have around as
well.

Just add it to world, problem solved! :)

Dale 05-19-2010 08:19 PM

Paul Hartman wrote:

These fonts have been on here for so long that I thought they were something
that the console used or some other system package needed. After all,
console has to have a font right? I just didn't want to remove this, reboot
and get a error that console has no fonts to display or some such message.
Then again, no fonts, maybe no message at all. lol

Now to see if I want these fonts and add them to the world file. I like
fonts. Try to keep a bunch of them lying around.

Corefonts are the Microsoft "core web fonts". Certainly not a system
package. Some websites might look funny without them, though. And if
you're using WINE they are probably a good thing to have around as
well.

Just add it to world, problem solved! :)

Yea, it has times, ariel and a few others that I use a lot so it has to
stay. I was going to try without it but I use those a lot. Ariel is
really good for me to read with these old glasses.

At least I know it being removed was not a mistake or something. The
name is a little misleading too. ;-)

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

walt 05-19-2010 09:40 PM

On 05/19/2010 01:19 PM, Dale wrote:

Yea, it has times, ariel and a few others that I use a lot so it has to stay. I was going to try without it but I use those a lot. Ariel is really good for me to read with these old glasses.

At least I know it being removed was not a mistake or something.

> The name is a little misleading too. ;-)

I got very confused when the package name changed. I'm guessing someone got
grumpy because his tradename was being sullied by a mere open source project.

David W Noon 05-19-2010 10:14 PM

corefonts being depcleaned?

On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:30:03 +0200, Dale wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
corefonts being depcleaned?:

[snip]
>Yea, it has times, ariel and a few others that I use a lot so it has
>to stay. I was going to try without it but I use those a lot. Ariel
>is really good for me to read with these old glasses.

Arial is simply the TrueType clone of Helvetica, which is part of the
htmldoc package. So, try using Helvetica instead, as it should
render a bit cleaner since it is a PostScript font. It will also allow
you to get rid of the MS fonts, eventually; all of the "core fonts"
have PostScript equivalents.

Dave [RLU #314465]
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Dale 05-19-2010 10:31 PM

David W Noon wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:30:03 +0200, Dale wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
corefonts being depcleaned?:

[snip]

Yea, it has times, ariel and a few others that I use a lot so it has
to stay. I was going to try without it but I use those a lot. Ariel
is really good for me to read with these old glasses.

Arial is simply the TrueType clone of Helvetica, which is part of the
htmldoc package. So, try using Helvetica instead, as it should
render a bit cleaner since it is a PostScript font. It will also allow
you to get rid of the MS fonts, eventually; all of the "core fonts"
have PostScript equivalents.

I hadn't noticed that. I just got to go compare those. You got me curious.

Dale

:-) :-)

This is Arial. This is Helvetica. Not very much difference here.
Helvetica may be a bit larger tho. That would help these old eyes.
:-D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Stroller 05-20-2010 03:35 AM

corefonts being depcleaned?