Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Mick

Default Cannot find entrance!

This is the first time I am dabbling with layman. So it is likely I have made
some noob mistake, which I hope you can help me discover.

I have installed layman-1.3.3 and then added the enlightenment overlay. I
have also added the snapshot keywords for enlightenment:

# ls -l /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 May 18 21:28
/etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords ->
/var/lib/layman/enlightenment/scripts/package.keywords.snapshots

entrance is unmasked in there:

# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords | grep entrance
x11-misc/entrance ~*

However, although I can see enlightenment, I have no success with entrance:

# emerge -upDv entrance

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "entrance".

What am I missing? Please ask for supporting info as you need it.
Mick

Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 PM
"Arttu V."

On 5/19/10, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the first time I am dabbling with layman. So it is likely I have
> made some noob mistake, which I hope you can help me discover.
>
> I have installed layman-1.3.3 and then added the enlightenment overlay. I
> have also added the snapshot keywords for enlightenment:
>
> # ls -l /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 May 18 21:28
> /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords ->
> /var/lib/layman/enlightenment/scripts/package.keywords.snapshots
>
> entrance is unmasked in there:
>
> # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords | grep entrance
> x11-misc/entrance ~*
>
> However, although I can see enlightenment, I have no success with entrance:
>
> # emerge -upDv entrance
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "entrance".
>

> What am I missing? Please ask for supporting info as you need it.

Are you sure you are sourcing the layman configuration in /etc/make.conf:

source /var/lib/layman/make.conf

--
Arttu V.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the first time I am dabbling with layman. So it is likely I have made
> some noob mistake, which I hope you can help me discover.
>
> I have installed layman-1.3.3 and then added the enlightenment overlay. I
> have also added the snapshot keywords for enlightenment:
>
> # ls -l /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 May 18 21:28
> /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords ->
> /var/lib/layman/enlightenment/scripts/package.keywords.snapshots
>
> entrance is unmasked in there:
>
> # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords | grep entrance
> x11-misc/entrance ~*
>
> However, although I can see enlightenment, I have no success with entrance:
>
> # emerge -upDv entrance
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "entrance".
>

> What am I missing? Please ask for supporting info as you need it.

entrance no longer exists in the overlay, looks like it is gone for good:

Changeset 372

Timestamp:
02/28/10 14:01:41 (3 months ago)
Author:
tommy
Message:

x11-misc/ entrance: Remove entrance: old and unmaintained, there
is currently a rewrite from scratch planned, but no ETA

Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 00:22:03 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is the first time I am dabbling with layman. So it is likely I have
> > made some noob mistake, which I hope you can help me discover.
> >
> > I have installed layman-1.3.3 and then added the enlightenment overlay.
> > I have also added the snapshot keywords for enlightenment:
> >
> > # ls -l /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 May 18 21:28
> > /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords ->
> > /var/lib/layman/enlightenment/scripts/package.keywords.snapshots
> >
> > entrance is unmasked in there:
> >
> > # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords | grep
> > entrance x11-misc/entrance ~*
> >
> > However, although I can see enlightenment, I have no success with
> > entrance:
> >
> > # emerge -upDv entrance
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> >
> > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "entrance".
> >

> > What am I missing? Please ask for supporting info as you need it.
>
> entrance no longer exists in the overlay, looks like it is gone for good:
>
> Changeset 372
>
> Timestamp:
> 02/28/10 14:01:41 (3 months ago)
> Author:
> tommy
> Message:
>
> x11-misc/ entrance: Remove entrance: old and unmaintained, there
> is currently a rewrite from scratch planned, but no ETA

The enlightenment overlay is largely unmaintained, or not being updated much.
You will get better results using the efl overlay, maintained at
enlightenment.org by an e17 dev:

http://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/trunk/packaging/gentoo

There's details on the enlightenment wiki. If memory servers, it's in the
"Packaging" page

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 18 May 2010 23:22:03 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is the first time I am dabbling with layman. So it is likely I have
> > made some noob mistake, which I hope you can help me discover.
> >
> > I have installed layman-1.3.3 and then added the enlightenment overlay.
> > I have also added the snapshot keywords for enlightenment:
> >
> > # ls -l /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 May 18 21:28
> > /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords ->
> > /var/lib/layman/enlightenment/scripts/package.keywords.snapshots
> >
> > entrance is unmasked in there:
> >
> > # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords | grep
> > entrance x11-misc/entrance ~*
> >
> > However, although I can see enlightenment, I have no success with
> > entrance:
> >
> > # emerge -upDv entrance
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> >
> > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "entrance".
> >

> > What am I missing? Please ask for supporting info as you need it.
>
> entrance no longer exists in the overlay, looks like it is gone for good:
>
> Changeset 372
>
> Timestamp:
> 02/28/10 14:01:41 (3 months ago)
> Author:
> tommy
> Message:
>
> x11-misc/ entrance: Remove entrance: old and unmaintained, there
> is currently a rewrite from scratch planned, but no ETA

:-(

So, no Display Manager for enlightenment? How do people start it up - it
seems odd to use e.g. the u xdm to do the job.

PS. Where did you find this note about entrance being deprecated Paul?
Mick

Old 05-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 00:06:04 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 May 2010 00:22:03 Paul Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is the first time I am dabbling with layman. So it is likely I
> > > have made some noob mistake, which I hope you can help me discover.
> > >
> > > I have installed layman-1.3.3 and then added the enlightenment overlay.
> > > I have also added the snapshot keywords for enlightenment:
> > >
> > > # ls -l /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords
> > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 May 18 21:28
> > > /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords ->
> > > /var/lib/layman/enlightenment/scripts/package.keywords.snapshots
> > >
> > > entrance is unmasked in there:
> > >
> > > # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords | grep
> > > entrance x11-misc/entrance ~*
> > >
> > > However, although I can see enlightenment, I have no success with
> > > entrance:
> > >
> > > # emerge -upDv entrance
> > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> > >
> > > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > >
> > > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "entrance".
> > >

> > > What am I missing? Please ask for supporting info as you need it.
> >
> > entrance no longer exists in the overlay, looks like it is gone for good:
> >
> > Changeset 372
> >
> > Timestamp:
> > 02/28/10 14:01:41 (3 months ago)
> > Author:
> > tommy
> > Message:
> >
> > x11-misc/ entrance: Remove entrance: old and unmaintained, there
> > is currently a rewrite from scratch planned, but no ETA
>
> The enlightenment overlay is largely unmaintained, or not being updated
> much. You will get better results using the efl overlay, maintained at
> enlightenment.org by an e17 dev:
>
> http://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/trunk/packaging/gentoo
>
> There's details on the enlightenment wiki. If memory servers, it's in the
> "Packaging" page

Sorry for being a noob with overlays Alan, how do I add that?

# layman -a efl
* Overlay "efl" does not exist.

Mick

Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 07:56:46 Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2010 23:22:03 Paul Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is the first time I am dabbling with layman. So it is likely I
> > > have made some noob mistake, which I hope you can help me discover.
> > >
> > > I have installed layman-1.3.3 and then added the enlightenment overlay.
> > > I have also added the snapshot keywords for enlightenment:
> > >
> > > # ls -l /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords
> > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 May 18 21:28
> > > /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords ->
> > > /var/lib/layman/enlightenment/scripts/package.keywords.snapshots
> > >
> > > entrance is unmasked in there:
> > >
> > > # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords/enlightenment.keywords | grep
> > > entrance x11-misc/entrance ~*
> > >
> > > However, although I can see enlightenment, I have no success with
> > > entrance:
> > >
> > > # emerge -upDv entrance
> > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> > >
> > > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > >
> > > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "entrance".
> > >

> > > What am I missing? Please ask for supporting info as you need it.
> >
> > entrance no longer exists in the overlay, looks like it is gone for good:
> >
> > Changeset 372
> >
> > Timestamp:
> > 02/28/10 14:01:41 (3 months ago)
> >
> > Author:
> > tommy
> >
> > Message:
> > x11-misc/ entrance: Remove entrance: old and unmaintained, there
> >
> > is currently a rewrite from scratch planned, but no ETA
> >
> :-(
>
> So, no Display Manager for enlightenment? How do people start it up - it
> seems odd to use e.g. the u xdm to do the job.

Well it's a display manager, you can use any one you feel like. There's no
requirement that a KDE user must use Konqueror, they can use Firefox if they
wish.

e17 users have many options: start, slim, xdm, gdm, kdm, *dm ....

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Alan McKinnon

http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Gentoo
--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS. Where did you find this note about entrance being deprecated Paul?

http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/vapier/changeset/372

Which FWIW and I should have mentioned, you can download the deleted
files and add it to your local overlay if you still want to try it out

http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/vapier/browser/enlightenment/x11-misc/entrance?rev=278

(it was last updated 3 years ago)

Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Mick

On 19 May 2010 16:21, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>> PS. *Where did you find this note about entrance being deprecated Paul?
>
> http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/vapier/changeset/372
>
> Which FWIW and I should have mentioned, you can download the deleted
> files and add it to your local overlay if you still want to try it out
>

> http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/vapier/browser/enlightenment/x11-misc/entrance?rev=278
>
> (it was last updated 3 years ago)

Thank you all for your replies! I will be experimenting as soon as I
get some free time with this (I sincerely hope that it won't take me
another three years this time).

I am however surprised that there isn't more development in this area
- isn't there demand for it?
Mick