Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Bill Kenworthy

Default need more swap

I have a one-off number crunching job that needs a large amount of swap.
It is apparently possible to have up to 16TB of swap with an AMD opteron
but I cant find out how - anyone here done this?

I have a 125GB scssi disk I would like as one large swap but after setup
the kernel can only see 2G (normal i386 is up to 32 2G partitions - I
found that 5G ram and 12G swap wasnt enough so I now want more!

BillK

Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Bill Kenworthy

ah, figured it out - had to be the whole disk, not a partition.

BillK

Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Mick

On Monday 17 May 2010 01:55:23 Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> ah, figured it out - had to be the whole disk, not a partition.

As far as I know you can define a partition, or even a file as swap space.
You'll need to set a swap fs on them first before you can use them and then it
is a matter of swapon /dev/what_ever.

Mick