Old 05-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Simon

Default emerge portage error

Hi,

Please help me to get rid of this error while emerging portage:
# emerge portage

Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...
>>> starting parallel fetching pid 6030

>>> Emerging (1 of 2) dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r4 to /
* Python-2.5.4.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-)
[ ok ]
* python-gentoo-patches-2.5.4-r3.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-)
[ ok ]
* checking ebuild checksums ;-)
[ ok ]
* checking auxfile checksums ;-)
[ ok ]
* checking miscfile checksums ;-)
[ ok ]
* checking Python-2.5.4.tar.bz2 ;-)
[ ok ]
* checking python-gentoo-patches-2.5.4-r3.tar.bz2 ;-)
[ ok ]
* "bsddb" module is out-of-date and no longer maintained inside
dev-lang/python. It has
* been additionally removed in Python 3. You should use external,
still maintained "bsddb3"
* module provided by dev-python/bsddb3 which supports both Python 2
and Python 3.

*
* ERROR: dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r4 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called pkg_setup
* python-2.5.4-r4.ebuild, line 64: Called built_with_use
'pkg_setup' 'pkg_setup'

* eutils.eclass, line 1862: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* die) die "$PKG does not
actually support the $1 USE flag!";;

* The die message:
* sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2 does not actually support the libffi USE flag!
*
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call
stack if relevant.
* A complete build log is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r4/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r4/temp/die.env'.

*

* Messages for package dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r4:

*

Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 16 May 2010 15:10:16 Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please help me to get rid of this error while emerging portage:
> # emerge portage

[snip]

Yea gods, the youth of today. In my day, when I was a little whipper-snapper,
we actually read the ebuild. Why because? Because there was no-one else around
to do our looking by proxy for us!

So, in the interest of decomming the proxy in my head, herewith the magic
incantations to make your problem go "Poof!" and disappear:

Firstly, you have tools to help. equery, euse, and many more. Learn how to use
them, and use them.

Secondly, read the ebuild. portage does what the ebuild says so the master
reference to figure out why portage wants to do something is in the ebuild (or
eclasses that it inherits).

> * "bsddb" module is out-of-date and no longer maintained inside
> dev-lang/python. It has
> * been additionally removed in Python 3. You should use external,
> still maintained "bsddb3"
> * module provided by dev-python/bsddb3 which supports both Python 2
> and Python 3.
> *
> * ERROR: dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r4 failed.
> * Call stack:
> * ebuild.sh, line 49: Called pkg_setup
> * python-2.5.4-r4.ebuild, line 64: Called built_with_use
> 'pkg_setup' 'pkg_setup'
> * eutils.eclass, line 1862: Called die
> * The specific snippet of code:
> * die) die "$PKG does not
> actually support the $1 USE flag!";;
> * The die message:
> * sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2 does not actually support the libffi USE flag!

From the ebuild:
pkg_setup() {
if use berkdb; then
ewarn ""bsddb" module is out-of-date and no longer
maintained inside dev-lang/python. It has"
ewarn "been additionally removed in Python 3. You should use
external, still maintained "bsddb3""
ewarn "module provided by dev-python/bsddb3 which supports
both Python 2 and Python 3."
fi

if built_with_use sys-devel/gcc libffi; then
die "Reinstall sys-devel/gcc with "libffi" USE flag
disabled"
fi
}

So, to get rid of the bsddb ewarn, you need to remove that "berkdb" from USE.

And the build failure is staring you right there in the face. As we say here
at the tip of Africa, "As dit 'n slang was, het dit jou gepik" [If it were a
snake, it would have already bitten you].

You have "USE=libffi" which doesn't work. Remove it, sync the tree, rebuild
world. (your portage and gcc versions have updates available, even on stable)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Barry Jibb

[...]

From the ebuild:
[...]

How do i unsubscribe from the list? I love it, but i subscribed in error
and I cant seem to stop it!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Mick

On 18 May 2010 13:11, Barry Jibb <barryjibbsausagesinc@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> * * * * if built_with_use sys-devel/gcc libffi; then
>> * * * * * * * * die "Reinstall sys-devel/gcc with "libffi" USE flag
>> disabled"
>> * * * * fi
>> }
>>

>> So, to get rid of the bsddb ewarn, you need to remove that "berkdb" from
>> USE.
>>
>> And the build failure is staring you right there in the face. As we say
>> here
>> at the tip of Africa, "As dit 'n slang was, het dit jou gepik" [If it were
>> snake, it would have already bitten you].
>>

>> You have "USE=libffi" which doesn't work. Remove it, sync the tree,
>> rebuild
>> world. (your portage and gcc versions have updates available, even on
>> stable)
>>

> How do i unsubscribe from the list? I love it, but i subscribed in error and

If you will be hijacking threads like this then you better unsubscribe
soon please!

Read the headers of this email message for instructions.
Mick