Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Default X hoggs CPU (xorg-server-1.7.6) (was: xorg-server: Pressing 'down'/'right ctrl' keys yields newline)

On 05/14/10 00:47, walt wrote:

On 05/13/2010 03:22 AM, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:

On 05/13/10 00:54, walt wrote:

On 05/12/2010 05:25 AM, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:

Hi all.
After updating world, xorg-1.5.3-r6 to 1.7.6 among others, I'm now
faced with a/m issue.

1. left ctrl key works fine, so does the down arrow key on the numpad.
2. Seems like the "down" key generates a double sequence: both the
"down" event and a newline.

I've no idea how to proceed w/this. Any clues would be appreciated.

With every version of X11, the amount of stuff in xorg.conf gets less,
as part of the xorg design. I can see from your xorg.log that you have
things in xorg.conf that shouldn't be there any longer. Specifically,
you seem to be using the keyboard and mouse drivers *and* evdev at the
same time, which is wrong -- evdev has replaced the mouse and keyboard
drivers, and you don't need an "Input device" section for either of
them

now.

I should have said *I* don't need an Input device section any more

Actually I moved some of my custom stuff from xorg.conf to the hal config
files -- but hal is deprecated now and I should it back to xorg.conf
again.

Thanks for the reminder.

I suggest you generate a new xorg.conf by running "X -configure" and
use the result as a good place to add a few custom things like these:
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "en_US,ru"
(**) Option "xkb_variant" ",winkeys"
(**) Option "xkb_options" "grp:shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

Thanks. X -configure solved it.
As long as we're at the subject:Those options you're mentioning,
would they go under the ""Keyboard0" device?

I Added some options there:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd" <******* "kbd" driver is obsolete, use "evdev" or just
delete this line

Simply deleting this line causes X to fail startup:
<Xorg.0.log>
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
InputDevice section "Keyboard0" must have a Driver line.
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file
</Xorg.0.log>

Explicitly setting Driver to "evdev" (to both mouse and keyboard
sections) doesn't fix the unexplained messages in Xorg.0.log. At least X
manages to start, though.

Depending on your configuration, there may be some font and/or
keyboard stuff in your own
home directory. You may need to search or grep some subdirectories to
find it if it's not

obvious.

Found nothing so-far...

I'm now noticing another problem: X's CPU usage sky-rockets when using
input devices. Especially mouse: If I move my pointer around the screen,
hovering over some windows in the process, I get >50% CPU in 'top'.

Amit