Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Mick

Default Gentoo decapitated

On Sunday 16 May 2010 02:24:10 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mine has xf86-* drivers as well. OP, do you have your setting in
> > make.conf correctly? Mine looks like this:
> >
> > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
> >
> > I do NOT use hal so your settings may need to be different but you do
> > need the line tho.
> >
> > I have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev", and adding either of the others makes X go
>
> back to not starting at all.

That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86 driver;
e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse

Mick

Old 05-16-2010, 03:43 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday 16 May 2010 02:24:10 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Mine has xf86-* drivers as well. *OP, do you have your setting in

> > make.conf correctly? *Mine looks like this:

> > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"

> > I do NOT use hal so your settings may need to be different but you do

> > need the line tho.

> > I have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev", and adding either of the others makes X go

> back to not starting at all.

That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86 driver;

e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse

You mean like this, the way it's always been?* Or is there something more specific I have to do?
treat src # eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
[i] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
**** Available versions:* 1.5.0{tbz2} {debug}

**** Installed versions:* 1.5.0{tbz2}(09:38:05 PM 05/11/2010)(-debug)
**** Homepage:*********** http://xorg.freedesktop.org/

treat src #
*
BTW, the most recent boot started X without the mouse working, but these two lines appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
line 44-47: (==) |-->Input Device "evdev"
*********** (==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"*********** (==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout.
****** * * * * * ** Using the first mouse device.
line 457:** (==) MACH64(0): Silken mouse enabled
(MACH64 is my video card)

(My mouse is a Microsoft optical with a USB cord that I use with a PS/2 adapter and a KVM switch, which works with Live disks. I have no idea what Silken is)

These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Mick

On Sunday 16 May 2010 16:43:48 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> > go
> >
> > > back to not starting at all.
> >
> > That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86
> > driver;
> > e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
>
> You mean like this, the way it's always been? Or is there something more
> specific I have to do?
> treat src # eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> [i] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> Available versions: 1.5.0{tbz2} {debug}
> Installed versions: 1.5.0{tbz2}(09:38:05 PM 05/11/2010)(-debug)
> Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
>
> treat src #
>
> BTW, the most recent boot started X without the mouse working, but these
> two lines appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> line 44-47: (==) |-->Input Device "evdev"
> (==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"
> (==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the
> layout.
> Using the first mouse device.
>

> line 457: (==) MACH64(0): Silken mouse enabled
>
> (MACH64 is my video card)
> (My mouse is a Microsoft optical with a USB cord that I use with a PS/2
> adapter and a KVM switch, which works with Live disks. I have no idea what
> Silken is)
>

> These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.

Kevin, what I would try first is to set INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse" in your
/etc/make.conf, then emerge x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and finally reboot.
Unless your mouse needs some special driver it will just work.

I've been down this road (with simpler hardware than yours it seems) and my
machine would not start xorg if I did not have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse
keyboard". On my laptops I had to also add synaptics.

HTH
Mick

Old 05-16-2010, 05:18 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday 16 May 2010 02:24:10 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Mine has xf86-* drivers as well. *OP, do you have your setting in

> > make.conf correctly? *Mine looks like this:

> > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"

> > I do NOT use hal so your settings may need to be different but you do

> > need the line tho.

> > I have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev", and adding either of the others makes X go

> back to not starting at all.

That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86 driver;

e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse

You mean like this, the way it's always been?* Or is there something more specific I have to do?
treat src # eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
[i] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse

**** Available versions:* 1.5.0{tbz2} {debug}

**** Installed versions:* 1.5.0{tbz2}(09:38:05 PM 05/11/2010)(-debug)
**** Homepage:*********** http://xorg.freedesktop.org/

treat src #
*
BTW, the most recent boot started X without the mouse working, but these two lines appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
line 44-47: (==) |-->Input Device "evdev"

*********** (==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"*********** (==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout.

****** * * * * * ** Using the first mouse device.

line 457:** (==) MACH64(0): Silken mouse enabled
(MACH64 is my video card)

(My mouse is a Microsoft optical with a USB cord that I use with a PS/2 adapter and a KVM switch, which works with Live disks. I have no idea what Silken is)

These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.

Oh, and one more thing showed up last night.* I reemerged udev, and noticed that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't work, I should try emerging hal first.* Leaving aside the non-effective language, I tried that and although hal is installed, I can* no longer build it.* This may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't compile the latest wireshark either.* Maybe something is hosed deep down.* It may be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks last time, and was a major PITA.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Mick

On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:18:09 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> go

> >> That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86
> >> driver;
> >> e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> >
> > You mean like this, the way it's always been? Or is there something more
> > specific I have to do?
> > treat src # eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> > [i] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> > Available versions: 1.5.0{tbz2} {debug}
> > Installed versions: 1.5.0{tbz2}(09:38:05 PM 05/11/2010)(-debug)
> > Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
> >
> > treat src #
> >
> > BTW, the most recent boot started X without the mouse working, but these
> > two lines appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> >
> > line 44-47: (==) |-->Input Device "evdev"
> > (==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"
> > (==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in
> > the layout.
> > Using the first mouse device.
> >

> > line 457: (==) MACH64(0): Silken mouse enabled
> >
> > (MACH64 is my video card)
> > (My mouse is a Microsoft optical with a USB cord that I use with a PS/2
> > adapter and a KVM switch, which works with Live disks. I have no idea
> > what Silken is)
> >

> > These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.
>
> Oh, and one more thing showed up last night. I reemerged udev, and noticed
> that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't work, I
> should try emerging hal first. Leaving aside the non-effective language, I
> tried that and although hal is installed, I can no longer build it. This
> may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't compile
> the latest wireshark either. Maybe something is hosed deep down. It may
> be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks last
> time, and was a major PITA.

I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing" thread, but
for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-
rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. On two machines of mine (x86) there
was no problem. On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of emerge -e
world.
Mick

Old 05-16-2010, 06:25 PM
walt

On 05/16/2010 08:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com <mailto:michaelkintzios@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Sunday 16 May 2010 02:24:10 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Mine has xf86-* drivers as well. OP, do you have your setting in
> > make.conf correctly? Mine looks like this:
> >
> > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
> >
> > I do NOT use hal so your settings may need to be different but you do
> > need the line tho.
> >
> > I have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev", and adding either of the others makes X go
>
> back to not starting at all.

That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86 driver;
e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse

You mean like this, the way it's always been? Or is there something more specific I have to do?
treat src # eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
[i] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
Available versions: 1.5.0{tbz2} {debug}
Installed versions: 1.5.0{tbz2}(09:38:05 PM 05/11/2010)(-debug)
Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/

treat src #

BTW, the most recent boot started X without the mouse working, but these two lines appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

line 44-47: (==) |-->Input Device "evdev"
(==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"
(==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout.
Using the first mouse device.

line 457: (==) MACH64(0): Silken mouse enabled

(MACH64 is my video card)
(My mouse is a Microsoft optical with a USB cord that I use with a PS/2 adapter and a KVM switch, which works with Live disks. I have no idea what Silken is)

These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.

I just did the experiment of building xorg-server with the hal useflag *off*, and
found that neither keyboard nor mouse worked until I restored the two InputDevice
sections that I commented out when I switched to evdev+hal:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Option "AIGLX" "false"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" <------ restored these two lines
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" <-------
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "True"
EndSection

Note those "Device" entries. I found those devices in /dev/input/by-path/:

$ls -l /dev/input/by-path/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-16 10:40 platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd -> ../event3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-16 10:40 platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-16 10:40 platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse -> ../mouse0

"evdev" uses "event-devices", hence the name. I don't use the mouse0 device at
all but I'm guessing I would if I used the "mouse" driver instead of "evdev".

Starting with xorg-server-1.8 the mouse and keyboard Inputdevice sections are no
longer needed (not sure about synaptics, though), because the server uses evdev
automatically (no manual configuration like cited above) and ignores hal completely.

Using the evdev driver alone, and xorg-server built without hal, I get this:

(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: always reports core events
(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(II) Mouse0: Found 9 mouse buttons
(II) Mouse0: Found scroll wheel(s)
(II) Mouse0: Found relative axes
(II) Mouse0: Found x and y relative axes
(II) Mouse0: Configuring as mouse
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "True"
(II) Mouse0: Forcing middle mouse button emulation on.
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Mouse0: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) Mouse0: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) Mouse0: initialized for relative axes.
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
(**) Keyboard0: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(II) Keyboard0: Found keys
(II) Keyboard0: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday 16 May 2010 16:43:48 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> > go

> > > back to not starting at all.

> > That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86

> > driver;

> > e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse

> You mean like this, the way it's always been? *Or is there something more

> specific I have to do?

> treat src # eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse

> [i] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse

> * * *Available versions: *1.5.0{tbz2} {debug}

> * * *Installed versions: *1.5.0{tbz2}(09:38:05 PM 05/11/2010)(-debug)

> * * *Homepage: * * * * * *http://xorg.freedesktop.org/

> treat src #

> BTW, the most recent boot started X without the mouse working, but these

> *two lines appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> line 44-47: (==) |-->Input Device "evdev"

> * * * * * * (==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"

> * * * * * * (==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the

> layout.

> * * * * * * * * * * Using the first mouse device.

> line 457: * (==) MACH64(0): Silken mouse enabled

> (MACH64 is my video card)

> (My mouse is a Microsoft optical with a USB cord that I use with a PS/2

> adapter and a KVM switch, which works with Live disks. I have no idea what

> Silken is)

> These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.

Kevin, what I would try first is to set INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse" in your

/etc/make.conf, then emerge x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and finally reboot.

Unless your mouse needs some special driver it will just work.

I've been down this road (with simpler hardware than yours it seems) and my

machine would not start xorg if I did not have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse

keyboard". *On my laptops I had to also add synaptics.

Well, that breaks kind of badly.* X never even starts.* But for a peculiar reason...* Here's what I find in the log file
*(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf******* Undefined InputDevice "evdev mouse" referenced by ServerLayout "X.org Configured".
(EE) Problem parsing the config file(EE) Error parsing the config file
Fatal server error:no screens found

So I tried the same thing with two statements

Section "ServerLayout"
*** Identifier**** "X.org Configured"*** Screen***** 0* "Screen0" 0 0
*** #InputDevice*** "Mouse0" "CorePointer"*** #InputDevice*** "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
******* InputDevice**** "evdev"******* InputDevice**** "mouse"
EndSection

And I got

******* Undefined InputDevice "mouse" referenced by ServerLayout "X.org Configured".
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
no screens found

So I'm thinking it just doesn't like "mouse" all of a sudden.* Say what?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:18:09 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

*<major snippage>
*

> Oh, and one more thing showed up last night. *I reemerged udev, and noticed

> that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't work, I

> should try emerging hal first. *Leaving aside the non-effective language, I

> tried that and although hal is installed, I can *no longer build it. *This

> may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't compile

> the latest wireshark either. *Maybe something is hosed deep down. *It may

> *be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks last

> *time, and was a major PITA.

I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing" thread, but

for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-

rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. *On two machines of mine (x86) there

was no problem. *On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of emerge -e

world.

I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it said it was
fixing.* Seems like my system should have been dead outright....

Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.

Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world (again).

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:18:09 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

*<major snippage>
*

> Oh, and one more thing showed up last night. *I reemerged udev, and noticed

> that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't work, I

> should try emerging hal first. *Leaving aside the non-effective language, I

> tried that and although hal is installed, I can *no longer build it. *This

> may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't compile

> the latest wireshark either. *Maybe something is hosed deep down. *It may

> *be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks last

> *time, and was a major PITA.

I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing" thread, but

for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-

rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. *On two machines of mine (x86) there

was no problem. *On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of emerge -e

world.

I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it said it was
fixing.* Seems like my system should have been dead outright....

Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.

Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world (again).

I've got to ask, though, what good a revdep-rebuild does with the -p (pretend) flag.

Am I missing something here?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Mick

On Sunday 16 May 2010 22:45:55 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> <major snippage>

> >> noticed

> >> language, I

> >> This

> >> compile

> >> may

> >> I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing"
> >> thread, but
> >> for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-
> >> rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. On two machines of mine (x86)
> >> there
> >> was no problem. On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of
> >> emerge -e
> >> world.
> >>
> >> I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it
> >
> > said it was
> > fixing. Seems like my system should have been dead outright....
> >
> > Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.
> >
> > Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world
> > (again).
> >

> > I've got to ask, though, what good a revdep-rebuild does with the -p
>
> (pretend) flag.
> Am I missing something here?

You're not missing anything. It's a cautionary step only. If you are about
to do something with the machine and remerging the whole universe would be
inconvenient at this moment in time, or you may want to reconsider/change some
of your settings, then --pretend will give you this chance. I've made the
habit of using it almost without thinking, but you can of course not use it,
or substitute it with -a.
Mick