Old 05-16-2010, 10:05 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Gentoo decapitated

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday 16 May 2010 22:45:55 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> wrote:

> >> *<major snippage>

> >> noticed

> >> language, I

> >> *This

> >> compile

> >> may

> >> I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing"

> >> thread, but

> >> for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-

> >> rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. *On two machines of mine (x86)

> >> there

> >> was no problem. *On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of

> >> emerge -e

> >> world.

> >> I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it

> > said it was

> > fixing. *Seems like my system should have been dead outright....

> > Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.

> > Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world

> > (again).

> > I've got to ask, though, what good a revdep-rebuild does with the -p

> (pretend) flag.

> Am I missing something here?

You're not missing anything. *It's a cautionary step only. *If you are about

to do something with the machine and remerging the whole universe would be

inconvenient at this moment in time, or you may want to reconsider/change some

of your settings, then --pretend will give you this chance. *I've made the

habit of using it almost without thinking, but you can of course not use it,

or substitute it with -a.

Mick

Well, it just told me it will rebuild clisp and m4, neither of which strike me as essential to Xorg, but I'll give it a try.
Thanks,

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Willie Wong

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 01:16:34PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > > These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.
> >
> > Kevin, what I would try first is to set INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse" in your
> > /etc/make.conf, then emerge x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and finally
> > reboot.
> > Unless your mouse needs some special driver it will just work.

The advice is to set the appropriate flag in /etc/make.conf
NOT what you are doing below to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

> So I tried the same thing with two statements
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "X.org Configured"
> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> #InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> #InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> InputDevice "evdev"
> InputDevice "mouse"
> EndSection

That is not exactly the right syntax for Xorg.conf
If you are using an xorg.conf and not just using evdev/hal, then you
should probably have something more like this in your configuration
file:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
EndSection

...plus other things. In the InputDevice section for Mouse0, note the
Option that sets the Device to /dev/input/mouse1. You will have to set
that to the appropriate path to the pointer device. It will most
likely by somewhere in /dev/input/ (often just mouse0 or mice, I have
a separate touchscreen device so mine is at mouse1). If you do not
have a mouse device listed in /dev/input, then you need to check
either your kernel configurations or your udev configurations.

For more about the proper syntax in xorg.conf, try "man xorg.conf".

If you are unsure about how to write your xorg.conf file, post its
full contents to the list and we'll take a look at it.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 05-16-2010, 11:41 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

*

> Oh, and one more thing showed up last night. *I reemerged udev, and noticed

> that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't work, I

> should try emerging hal first. *Leaving aside the non-effective language, I

> tried that and although hal is installed, I can *no longer build it. *This

> may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't compile

> the latest wireshark either. *Maybe something is hosed deep down. *It may

> *be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks last

> *time, and was a major PITA.

I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing" thread, but

for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-

rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. *On two machines of mine (x86) there

was no problem. *On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of emerge -e

world.

I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it said it was
fixing.* Seems like my system should have been dead outright....

Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.

Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world (again).

Well, it was an interesting excercise, but I'm no closer to a runnable Xorg (it won't start at all as long as I have

***** InputDevice**** "mouse"
in there.* I think I'll start exploring the ideas around what happens when you have Xorg -hal, as I do.

Actually, I did that, and problem SOLVED!.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD