Old 05-16-2010, 04:42 AM
William Kenworthy

Default kdrive use flag quandary

I am trying to update a laptop after a break of a few months and have
an ... anomaly!

It suddenly wants the kdrive use flag enabled for xorg-server and
sabayon - why? I think kdrive is a minimal xserver built on top of xorg
so its not appropriate for a system I want full functionality on - is
it?

How can I find out whats bringing this use flag in as I cant find
anything so far.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Mick

On Sunday 16 May 2010 05:42:13 William Kenworthy wrote:
> I am trying to update a laptop after a break of a few months and have
> an ... anomaly!
>
> It suddenly wants the kdrive use flag enabled for xorg-server and
> sabayon - why? I think kdrive is a minimal xserver built on top of xorg
> so its not appropriate for a system I want full functionality on - is
> it?
>
> How can I find out whats bringing this use flag in as I cant find
> anything so far.

euse -I kdrive

will show which packages on your system are using this flag.

Mick

Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 AM
William Kenworthy

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 08:08 +0100, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 16 May 2010 05:42:13 William Kenworthy wrote:
> > I am trying to update a laptop after a break of a few months and have
> > an ... anomaly!
> >
> > It suddenly wants the kdrive use flag enabled for xorg-server and
> > sabayon - why? I think kdrive is a minimal xserver built on top of xorg
> > so its not appropriate for a system I want full functionality on - is
> > it?
> >
> > How can I find out whats bringing this use flag in as I cant find
> > anything so far.
>
> euse -I kdrive
>
> will show which packages on your system are using this flag.

Its not what packages use it - but what packages are causing it to be
needed that I want:

>From the new sabayon ebuild stabilized for gnome 2.28 it seems to
require xorg-server to be built with kdrive. So even though this system
is using stable gnome, the newer sabayon now requires it ...

COMMON_DEPEND=">=dev-lang/python-2.4
>=x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.0
>=dev-python/pygtk-2.5.3
>=dev-python/pygobject-2.15
x11-libs/pango
dev-python/python-ldap
x11-base/xorg-server[kdrive]"

It appears its set by autounmask for gnome-2.28.2 on my other systems so
guess its a requirement these days ... guess I'll unmask the newer gnome
here as well - seems to work ok.

BillK

Old 05-16-2010, 11:03 AM
ich bins

Am 16.05.2010 12:22, schrieb William Kenworthy:
> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 08:08 +0100, Mick wrote:
>> On Sunday 16 May 2010 05:42:13 William Kenworthy wrote:
>>> I am trying to update a laptop after a break of a few months and have
>>> an ... anomaly!
>>>
>>> It suddenly wants the kdrive use flag enabled for xorg-server and
>>> sabayon - why? I think kdrive is a minimal xserver built on top of xorg
>>> so its not appropriate for a system I want full functionality on - is
>>> it?
>>>
>>> How can I find out whats bringing this use flag in as I cant find
>>> anything so far.
>>
>> euse -I kdrive
>>
>> will show which packages on your system are using this flag.
>>

> Its not what packages use it - but what packages are causing it to be
> needed that I want:
>
>> >From the new sabayon ebuild stabilized for gnome 2.28 it seems to
> require xorg-server to be built with kdrive. So even though this system
> is using stable gnome, the newer sabayon now requires it ...
>
> COMMON_DEPEND=">=dev-lang/python-2.4
> >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.0
> >=dev-python/pygtk-2.5.3
> >=dev-python/pygobject-2.15
> x11-libs/pango
> dev-python/python-ldap
> x11-base/xorg-server[kdrive]"
>

> It appears its set by autounmask for gnome-2.28.2 on my other systems so
> guess its a requirement these days ... guess I'll unmask the newer gnome
> here as well - seems to work ok.
>
> BillK

You need kdrive for Xephyr!

Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 AM
William Kenworthy

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 13:03 +0200, ich bins wrote:
> Am 16.05.2010 12:22, schrieb William Kenworthy:

> >> euse -I kdrive
> >>
> >> will show which packages on your system are using this flag.
> >>

> > Its not what packages use it - but what packages are causing it to be
> > needed that I want:

> > require xorg-server to be built with kdrive. So even though this system
> > is using stable gnome, the newer sabayon now requires it ...
> >
> > COMMON_DEPEND=">=dev-lang/python-2.4
> > >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.0
> > >=dev-python/pygtk-2.5.3
> > >=dev-python/pygobject-2.15
> > x11-libs/pango
> > dev-python/python-ldap
> > x11-base/xorg-server[kdrive]"
> >

> > It appears its set by autounmask for gnome-2.28.2 on my other systems so
> > guess its a requirement these days ... guess I'll unmask the newer gnome
> > here as well - seems to work ok.
> >
> > BillK
> >

> You need kdrive for Xephyr!

Perhaps, but its not installed and doesnt even have an ebuild that I can
see.

BillK

Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
walt

On 05/16/2010 04:14 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 13:03 +0200, ich bins wrote:

Am 16.05.2010 12:22, schrieb William Kenworthy:

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 08:08 +0100, Mick wrote:

On Sunday 16 May 2010 05:42:13 William Kenworthy wrote:

I am trying to update a laptop after a break of a few months and have
an ... anomaly!

It suddenly wants the kdrive use flag enabled for xorg-server and
sabayon - why? I think kdrive is a minimal xserver built on top of xorg
so its not appropriate for a system I want full functionality on - is
it?

How can I find out whats bringing this use flag in as I cant find
anything so far.

euse -I kdrive

will show which packages on your system are using this flag.

Its not what packages use it - but what packages are causing it to be
needed that I want:

> From the new sabayon ebuild stabilized for gnome 2.28 it seems to

require xorg-server to be built with kdrive. So even though this system
is using stable gnome, the newer sabayon now requires it ...

COMMON_DEPEND=">=dev-lang/python-2.4
>=x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.0
>=dev-python/pygtk-2.5.3
>=dev-python/pygobject-2.15
x11-libs/pango
dev-python/python-ldap
x11-base/xorg-server[kdrive]"

It appears its set by autounmask for gnome-2.28.2 on my other systems so
guess its a requirement these days ... guess I'll unmask the newer gnome
here as well - seems to work ok.

BillK

You need kdrive for Xephyr!

Perhaps, but its not installed and doesnt even have an ebuild that I can
see.

Xephyr is a driver installed by xorg-server-1.8 on my ~amd64 machine, but
not on my x86 machine with xorg-server-1.7.6. Which version are you trying
to install?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 PM
walt

On 05/15/2010 09:42 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:

I am trying to update a laptop after a break of a few months and have
an ... anomaly!

It suddenly wants the kdrive use flag enabled for xorg-server and
sabayon - why? I think kdrive is a minimal xserver built on top of xorg
so its not appropriate for a system I want full functionality on - is
it?

How can I find out whats bringing this use flag in as I cant find
anything so far.

The method most often suggested is adding the 't' flag to your emerge:

#emerge -auNDt world

Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Bill Kenworthy

-t doesnt work in this case as emerge wants xorg-server built with the
kdrive flag before it will continue processing - which makes sense.

BillK

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 AM
walt

On 05/16/2010 06:26 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

-t doesnt work in this case as emerge wants xorg-server built with the
kdrive flag before it will continue processing - which makes sense.

AFAICT, the cost of enabling kdrive is trivial. It compiles one more
"server" /usr/bin/Xephyr, so I'd say just enable kdrive and go for it!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Bill Kenworthy

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 18:55 -0700, walt wrote:
> On 05/16/2010 06:26 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> > -t doesnt work in this case as emerge wants xorg-server built with the
> > kdrive flag before it will continue processing - which makes sense.
>
> AFAICT, the cost of enabling kdrive is trivial. It compiles one more
> "server" /usr/bin/Xephyr, so I'd say just enable kdrive and go for it!

Thanks Walt, thats interesting that gnome-2.28 includes Xephyr via
kdrive - bonus

The system was moved to gnome-2.28 and updated/upgraded overnight and I
just have half a dozen pkgs to sort out - after trying 217!) and its
done.