Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Mick

Default USB printer and new cups

On Sunday 16 May 2010 02:56:23 Alex Schuster wrote:

> Thanks, this made me install gutenprint which claims to support the
> printer directly. I thought I had to use the iP4200 driver and hope it
> would work.

I think that gutenprint is the correct driver for your printer and this page
also suggests the same:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Canon/Canon-iP4000

However, this might have been the case before the latest cups version - so
some further testing will be required (see below).

> But my main problem is another one: How do I tell CUPS which device my
> printer is? I tried usb:/dev/usb/lp0 (found this notation when googling
> 'usb printer device uri'), but nothing happens when I try to print.

This is the cups driver (in kernel) which ought to pick up your usb printer
and use it without problems. However, according to your logs ... there seems
to be a clash:

> There is a message in syslog that is being repeated hundreds of times:
> May 15 22:25:55 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp
> while 'usb' sets config #1

So, what happens if you build usblp as a module and you modprobe -rv ubslp?
Does cups pick up your printer now?

> And now it gets really crazy: In the printer overview I see not only the
> 'iP5200' I just created, but also a 'iP52002' that has the device URI
> 'usb://Canon/iP5200'. What did create this?!
>
> But printing to that does not work either.

I suspect that this was created by the gutenprint driver that you installed.
I believe that if you resolve the usblp error first then you'll know if
gutenprint is necessary or if it will work. Some manual tweaking of the ppd
file may also be needed to print in higher resolutions, but let's get it to
print first.

Stop press!

I just checked again your first post: You are using cups 1.4 which accesses
raw usb devices! Definitely remove usblp (or blacklist it and reboot if you
don't want to recompile your kernel, or can't modprobe -r) and see if the cups
back end picks up your printer on its own.

HTH
Mick

Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Alex Schuster

Mick wrote:

> On Sunday 16 May 2010 02:56:23 Alex Schuster wrote:

> > But my main problem is another one: How do I tell CUPS which device
> > my printer is? I tried usb:/dev/usb/lp0 (found this notation when
> > googling 'usb printer device uri'), but nothing happens when I try
> > to print.
>
> This is the cups driver (in kernel) which ought to pick up your usb
> printer and use it without problems. However, according to your logs
> ... there seems to be a clash:
>
> > There is a message in syslog that is being repeated hundreds of
> > times: May 15 22:25:55 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed
> > by usblp while 'usb' sets config #1

And I just found this:

May 15 22:17:40 [kernel] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
and address 3
May 15 22:17:41 [kernel] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt
0 proto 2 vid 0x04A9 pid 0x10A5
May 15 22:17:41 [kernel] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 717,
in main_ h = HalLpAdmin()
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 686,
in __init___ self.addPrinter()
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 700,
in addPrinter_ printer.add()
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 541,
in add_ location=os.uname ()[1])
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] IPPError: (1280, 'server-error-internal-
error')

> So, what happens if you build usblp as a module and you modprobe -rv
> ubslp? Does cups pick up your printer now?

I was too busy to try this. And I don't have the printer here right now.
But I will try this soon, so thanks.

> > And now it gets really crazy: In the printer overview I see not only
> > the 'iP5200' I just created, but also a 'iP52002' that has the
> > device URI 'usb://Canon/iP5200'. What did create this?!
> >
> > But printing to that does not work either.
>
> I suspect that this was created by the gutenprint driver that you
> installed. I believe that if you resolve the usblp error first then
> you'll know if gutenprint is necessary or if it will work. Some
> manual tweaking of the ppd file may also be needed to print in higher
> resolutions, but let's get it to print first.
>
> Stop press!
>
> I just checked again your first post: You are using cups 1.4 which
> accesses raw usb devices! Definitely remove usblp (or blacklist it
> and reboot if you don't want to recompile your kernel, or can't
> modprobe -r) and see if the cups back end picks up your printer on its
> own.

Thanks Mick! I will try again soon, this time on another Gentoo machine,
where the printer finally belongs. I just wanted to try it out and to
check the printing results. Well, this did not work at all, but at least I
know now that it should be supported, while before I was under the
impression I had to use a similar driver, and hope for good results.

Wonko

Old 05-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Daniel da Veiga

just remove the usblp module (blacklist it or remove it completely
from the kernel, if its already a module, modprobe -r it) and restart
cups. Cups uses raw usb devices. It should appear at the web
interface.

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 09-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Jonas de Buhr

>But my main problem is another one: How do I tell CUPS which device my
>printer is? I tried usb:/dev/usb/lp0 (found this notation when
>googling 'usb printer device uri'), but nothing happens when I try to
>print.

with cups loaded and printer connected:

# /usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb
direct usb://Kyocera/FS-1010 (...)