Old 05-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Grant

Default glx & dri fail to load for nv

I'm seeing tearing from the nv xorg driver. I think it's because the
glx and dri modules are failing to load, and I think that's because
I'm missing a kernel option or two. Can anyone tell me what I might
be missing in the kernel for an Nvidia card?

BTW, the proprietary nvidia driver works great but I'd like to get nv
working too.

- Grant

Old 05-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

I'm seeing tearing from the nv xorg driver. I think it's because the
glx and dri modules are failing to load, and I think that's because
I'm missing a kernel option or two. Can anyone tell me what I might
be missing in the kernel for an Nvidia card?

BTW, the proprietary nvidia driver works great but I'd like to get nv
working too.

A bit off-topic, but nv is dead upstream (NVidia dropped it). You might
want to look into the Nouveau open source driver if you have hardware
supported by it (it even supports 3D):

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org

It's better than the crappy "nv" driver by orders of magnitude.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Grant

>> I'm seeing tearing from the nv xorg driver. *I think it's because the
>> glx and dri modules are failing to load, and I think that's because
>> I'm missing a kernel option or two. *Can anyone tell me what I might
>> be missing in the kernel for an Nvidia card?
>>
>> BTW, the proprietary nvidia driver works great but I'd like to get nv
>> working too.
>
> A bit off-topic, but nv is dead upstream (NVidia dropped it). *You might
> want to look into the Nouveau open source driver if you have hardware
> supported by it (it even supports 3D):
>
> *http://nouveau.freedesktop.org
>
> It's better than the crappy "nv" driver by orders of magnitude.

That's great! I'll ask the Nouveau list about VDPAU support.

- Grant