Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 PM
James Cunning

Default KDE 4.4.3 broke kmail/akonadi and VNC?

I recently did an emerge update world that upgraded KDE to 4.4.3 (276
packages). The emerge completed successfully, and I logged out and back in to
KDE. I have noticed two problems so far:

1. I frequently use my desktop remotely via tightvnc and x11vnc, and now using
the shift key to enter upper case letters and shifted numeric keys (!@#$%^,
etc.) no longer works. I cannot enter my password to login without pressing
shift-lock for the upper case letters. Fortunately, my password doesn't
require special characters above the numeric keys, or I wouldn't even be able
to login to KDE. I don't know if this problem also occurs at the console, as
I haven't been able to visit the physical site yet.

Have any others seen this behavior?

2. Kmail starts, but does not display the contact list because it says the
akonadi server is not functional. I had previously disabled nepomuk because
its memory and CPU consumption were annoying. Now it seems that akonadi won't
even function unless nepomuk is enabled.

Are there any work-arounds to this?
--
Jim