Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Gentoo decapitated

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 21:21:25 Dale wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com

> > <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:

> > * * Have you tried this:

> > * * emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)

> > * * I have upgraded my kernel before without rebuilding these but they

> > * * are small and only take a few minutes. *Your mileage may vary.

> > * * The mouse drivers should be in that list. *If not, then something

> > * * is missing in your set up.

> > As I think I explained, I have re-emerged *everything* installed that

> > had "x11" or "xorg" in its name. *And the mouse driver was definitely

> > there.

> That usually works so I'm clueless. *I assume the mouse works somewhere

> else? *I think you mentioned it working somewhere so I'm out of ideas.

Sorry to persist, but the drivers usually have "xf86-*" in their name not

"x11" or "xorg", e.g. xf86-input-evdev.

(The category of those packages is of course x11-drivers/ ; i.e. x11-

drivers/xf86-input-evdev)

Other than that could it be a udev issue and some permanent rule for a USB

type of mouse, which you should remove and restart udev? *Don't know, just an

idea.

I'll try any idea.* Where would such a permanent rule reside?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Dale

wrote:

> > Have you tried this:
> >
> > emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
> >
> > I have upgraded my kernel before without rebuilding these
but they
> > are small and only take a few minutes. Your mileage may vary.
> >
> > The mouse drivers should be in that list. If not, then
something
> > is missing in your set up.

> > As I think I explained, I have re-emerged *everything*
installed that
> > had "x11" or "xorg" in its name. And the mouse driver was
definitely
> > there.
>
> That usually works so I'm clueless. I assume the mouse works
somewhere
> else? I think you mentioned it working somewhere so I'm out of
ideas.

Sorry to persist, but the drivers usually have "xf86-*" in their
name not
"x11" or "xorg", e.g. xf86-input-evdev.

(The category of those packages is of course x11-drivers/ ; i.e. x11-
drivers/xf86-input-evdev)

Other than that could it be a udev issue and some permanent rule
for a USB
type of mouse, which you should remove and restart udev? Don't
know, just an
idea.

I'll try any idea. Where would such a permanent rule reside?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

They should be in:

/etc/udev/rules.d

I have been known to back that directory up, delete all the rules and
then re-emerge udev. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. If
you have rules you made yourself, do back them up first.

Of course you may be able to check in the rule files and see if there is
something obviously wrong too.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Mick

On Saturday 15 May 2010 17:37:41 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That usually works so I'm clueless. I assume the mouse works somewhere
> > > else? I think you mentioned it working somewhere so I'm out of ideas.
> >
> > Sorry to persist, but the drivers usually have "xf86-*" in their name not
> > "x11" or "xorg", e.g. xf86-input-evdev.
> >
> > (The category of those packages is of course x11-drivers/ ; i.e. x11-
> > drivers/xf86-input-evdev)
> >
> > Other than that could it be a udev issue and some permanent rule for a
> > USB type of mouse, which you should remove and restart udev? Don't know,
> > just an
> > idea.
> >
> > I'll try any idea. Where would such a permanent rule reside?

ls -la /etc/udev/rules.d/*
Mick

Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"