Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Bill Kenworthy

Default gnome 2.28

Saw the news announcement that gnome 2.28 is stabilized - however
looking at the header of gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (only 2.28 ebuild
present) still shows ~x86 - do I have update problems or are there
delays?

Is this for amd64 only or has x86 just been overlooked?

BillK

KEYWORDS="amd64 ~x86"

troll ~ # eselect news read
2010-05-02-gnome-228
Title Upgrade to GNOME 2.28
Author Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org>
Posted 2010-04-23
Revision 1

We are pleased to announce the stabilization of GNOME-2.28. Users are
strongly encouraged to read the GNOME 2.28 Upgrade Guide, to avoid any
possible issues relating to the upgrade, such as Applications menu items
disappearing, missing icons, or mouse interaction problems.

Please read the Gnome 2.28 Upgrade Guide:
http://gnome.gentoo.org/howtos/gnome-2.28-upgrade.xml

Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 11.05.2010 03:58, schrieb Bill Kenworthy:
> Saw the news announcement that gnome 2.28 is stabilized - however
> looking at the header of gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (only 2.28 ebuild
> present) still shows ~x86 - do I have update problems or are there
> delays?
>
> Is this for amd64 only or has x86 just been overlooked?

The stabilization for AMD64 happened between last Tuesday and Wednesday,
according to my observations.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Bill Kenworthy

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 08:58 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 11.05.2010 03:58, schrieb Bill Kenworthy:
> > Saw the news announcement that gnome 2.28 is stabilized - however
> > looking at the header of gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (only 2.28 ebuild
> > present) still shows ~x86 - do I have update problems or are there
> > delays?
> >
> > Is this for amd64 only or has x86 just been overlooked?
> >

> The stabilization for AMD64 happened between last Tuesday and Wednesday,
> according to my observations.

Thats the question I am asking - whats happened to x86? - did it get
forgotten? - the news message says nothing about it being amd64 only ...

Looking at the changelog and bug for it, it seems amd64 got in early,
and the x86 team have not caught up yet - but as its been a full week is
there a reason not listed in the changelog/bug why x86 hasnt gone stable
when bug #314899 asks:

------- Comment #31 From Pacho Ramos 2010-05-02 13:54:51 0000 [reply]
-------
Arches, please test and mark stable Gnome 2.28 following GNOME 2.28
stabilization list pass #8 (last one)

You can move down the list incrementally stabilizing things; but each block
*should* ideally be finished in one go.

Thanks a lot
------- Comment

Note I am not hassling for the sake of it but I like to run stable if
possible, but I am at a point with evolution where I want 2.28 or 2.30
for exchange access so do I upgrade gnome to ~x86 (and work out any
kinks that will involve), do evolution only or wait? Its just being
caught in limbo that answer will help resolve which way I go.

BillK

Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 11.05.2010 09:53, schrieb Bill Kenworthy:

> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 08:58 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Am 11.05.2010 03:58, schrieb Bill Kenworthy:
>>> Saw the news announcement that gnome 2.28 is stabilized - however
>>> looking at the header of gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (only 2.28 ebuild
>>> present) still shows ~x86 - do I have update problems or are there
>>> delays?
>>>
>>> Is this for amd64 only or has x86 just been overlooked?
>>>

>> The stabilization for AMD64 happened between last Tuesday and Wednesday,
>> according to my observations.
>>

> Thats the question I am asking - whats happened to x86? - did it get
> forgotten? - the news message says nothing about it being amd64 only ...

Ah sorry, I totally got your question wrong. I thought AMD64 was behind
for you.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:31 AM
walt

On 05/11/2010 12:53 AM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

I am at a point with evolution where I want 2.28 or 2.30
for exchange access so do I upgrade gnome to ~x86 (and work out any
kinks that will involve), do evolution only or wait?...

I can predict that unmasking evolution alone is way too messy and
painful to risk trying. I'm just guessing about unmasking ~gnome on
an x86 machine, but my gut feeling is that it may be less messy, but
still not completely free of headaches (more informed opinions are
requested, of course).

My only semi-helpful idea for dilemmas like yours is to learn to use
VirtualBox so you can run an unstable version of gentoo on your stable
gentoo machine without risking any possible(probable) disasters. It's
a great product and well worth your time to learn to use it, IMO.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Bill Kenworthy

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 17:31 -0700, walt wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 12:53 AM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> > I am at a point with evolution where I want 2.28 or 2.30
> > for exchange access so do I upgrade gnome to ~x86 (and work out any
> > kinks that will involve), do evolution only or wait?...
>
> I can predict that unmasking evolution alone is way too messy and
> painful to risk trying. I'm just guessing about unmasking ~gnome on
> an x86 machine, but my gut feeling is that it may be less messy, but
> still not completely free of headaches (more informed opinions are
> requested, of course).
>
> My only semi-helpful idea for dilemmas like yours is to learn to use
> VirtualBox so you can run an unstable version of gentoo on your stable
> gentoo machine without risking any possible(probable) disasters. It's
> a great product and well worth your time to learn to use it, IMO.

I already use vbox (there are currently 3 Fedora instances running in
vbox vm's on the gentoo box I am using to type this att and then there
is vmware on my laptop for work uses and qemu at home - for Fedora and
windows on gentoo , however, running another operating system just to
read exchange email/calendaring (work nonsense!) - might just as well
give up and run windows and outlook in a vm. I am currently using
davmail to interface evo 2.26.3 to exchange and it works reasonably
well, but again I am hoping to use the advances in later evo versions to
go direct and not via a connector.

BillK

Old 05-12-2010, 02:54 AM
walt