Old 05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Rudmer van Dijk

Default libpng12 is missing

On Sunday 09 May 2010, walt wrote:

> This looks to me like a major portage screwup. I see that on my ~amd64
> machine I have both versions of libpng, but the 1.2.43-r1 doesn't install
> a pkg-config file because 1.4.2 installs one with the same name, and just
> as bad, version 1.2.43-r1 removed the libpng12 header files.
>
> For now, I'd suggest just going back to to 1.2.43 if you can -- maybe mask
>
> >1.2.43 in package.mask?
>
> Meanwhile I'm trying to fix firefox so I can read the bug report mentioned
> by Andras.

well I'm getting into a .la hell...
you need to rebuild packages which are themselves not invalid and therefore
can't be found by revdep-rebuild...

searching with "grep png12 `find /usr/lib64/ -name '*.la'`" lists all .la
files with a bad png version, rebuilding those will fix the system. after that
all packages found by revdep-rebuild can be emerged.

Rudmer

Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 09 Mai 2010, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> On Sunday 09 May 2010, walt wrote:
> > This looks to me like a major portage screwup. I see that on my ~amd64
> > machine I have both versions of libpng, but the 1.2.43-r1 doesn't install
> > a pkg-config file because 1.4.2 installs one with the same name, and just
> > as bad, version 1.2.43-r1 removed the libpng12 header files.
> >
> > For now, I'd suggest just going back to to 1.2.43 if you can -- maybe
> > mask
> >
> > >1.2.43 in package.mask?
> >
> > Meanwhile I'm trying to fix firefox so I can read the bug report
> > mentioned by Andras.
>
> well I'm getting into a .la hell...
> you need to rebuild packages which are themselves not invalid and therefore
> can't be found by revdep-rebuild...
>
> searching with "grep png12 `find /usr/lib64/ -name '*.la'`" lists all .la
> files with a bad png version, rebuilding those will fix the system. after
> that all packages found by revdep-rebuild can be emerged.
>
> Rudmer

run la fixer

and op:
deinstall libpng1.2

and walt:
preserved libs. Look into it.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 PM
walt

This looks to me like a major portage screwup. I see that on my ~amd64
machine I have both versions of libpng, but the 1.2.43-r1 doesn't install
a pkg-config file because 1.4.2 installs one with the same name, and just
as bad, version 1.2.43-r1 removed the libpng12 header files.

For now, I'd suggest just going back to to 1.2.40 if you can -- maybe mask

>1.2.40 in package.mask?

I should have said 1.2.40 instead of 1.2.43, sorry

Meanwhile I'm trying to fix firefox so I can read the bug report mentioned
by Andras.

well I'm getting into a .la hell...
you need to rebuild packages which are themselves not invalid and therefore
can't be found by revdep-rebuild...

searching with "grep png12 `find /usr/lib64/ -name '*.la'`" lists all .la

^^
I think the png12 should be png14 instead. We need to go backwards by re-
building the packages that have already been linked against libpng-1.4.2
(which we are removing until it's fixed).

Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Rudmer van Dijk

On Sunday 09 May 2010, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sonntag 09 Mai 2010, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> > On Sunday 09 May 2010, walt wrote:
> > > This looks to me like a major portage screwup. I see that on my ~amd64
> > > machine I have both versions of libpng, but the 1.2.43-r1 doesn't
> > > install a pkg-config file because 1.4.2 installs one with the same
> > > name, and just as bad, version 1.2.43-r1 removed the libpng12 header
> > > files.
> > >
> > > For now, I'd suggest just going back to to 1.2.43 if you can -- maybe
> > > mask

> > > Meanwhile I'm trying to fix firefox so I can read the bug report
> > > mentioned by Andras.
> >
> > well I'm getting into a .la hell...
> > you need to rebuild packages which are themselves not invalid and
> > therefore can't be found by revdep-rebuild...
> >
> > searching with "grep png12 `find /usr/lib64/ -name '*.la'`" lists all .la
> > files with a bad png version, rebuilding those will fix the system. after
> > that all packages found by revdep-rebuild can be emerged.
> >
> > Rudmer
>
> run la fixer

ah, yes I knew there was something easier 8-)
well running `lafilefixer --justfixit` did not find anything so I got them all

thanks!

Rudmer

Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 AM
walt