Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 AM
"Elyahou ITTAH"

Default SSH tunnel With Portage

Hi all,

I sought how to make pass my emerge's starting from a tunnel configured with Putty but did not find nothing* interesting.
How can i do this ?

Thx

Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 14 January 2008, Elyahou ITTAH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I sought how to make pass my emerge's starting from a tunnel
> configured with Putty but did not find nothing interesting.
> How can i do this ?
>
> Thx

Are you using putty on windows then?

Log in with putty, you will get a bash session. Become root, run emerge.

If this doesn't work, then post back with FULL error messages, the
process you followed and where it failed.

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 AM
"Elyahou ITTAH"

2008/1/14, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:
On Monday 14 January 2008, Elyahou ITTAH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I sought how to make pass my emerge's starting from a tunnel
> configured with Putty but did not find nothing**interesting.
> How can i do this ?

> Thx

Are you using putty on windows then?

Log in with putty, you will get a bash session. Become root, run emerge.

If this doesn't work, then post back with FULL error messages, the

process you followed and where it failed.

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Thx for the Answer but* I think I asked the question wrong. I Use Putty to bypass a HTTP proxy who do not let emerge Work.
So i wan't to run portage in my pc, not in the remote one. But i wan't to sync passing the SSH tunnel who is configurated to listen at the port 8080 of my localhost.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:53 AM
"Elyahou ITTAH"

It's not clear at all whether you have http access from your gentoo box.

If so, did you try emerge-webrsync?

# emerge --sync
>>> Starting rsync with rsync://140.211.166.165/gentoo-portage...

>>> Checking server timestamp ...
timed out
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(276) [receiver=2.6.9]
>>> Retrying...

# emerge-webrsync -v
Fetching most recent snapshot

Attempting to fetch file dated: 20080113
--12:48:20--* http://mirror.hamakor.org.il/pub/mirrors/gentoo//snapshots/portage-20080113.tar.bz2

********** => `/var/tmp/emerge-webrsync/portage-20080113.tar.bz2'
Résolution de mirror.hamakor.org.il... 82.80.248.176
Connexion vers mirror.hamakor.org.il|82.80.248.176|:80...connect
é.
requête HTTP transmise, en attente de la réponse...ERREUR de lecture (Connexion terminée par expiration du délai d'attente) de l'en-tête.
Nouvel essai.

It's in french but easy to understand.... My tunnel works, i use IRC throught it, but i don't know where to configure Portage to use it.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 14 January 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008, Elyahou ITTAH wrote:
> > Thx for the Answer but I think I asked the question wrong. I Use
> > Putty to bypass a HTTP proxy who do not let emerge Work.
> > So i wan't to run portage in my pc, not in the remote one. But i
> > wan't to sync passing the SSH tunnel who is configurated to listen
> > at the port 8080 of my localhost.
>
> It's not clear at all whether you have http access from your gentoo
> box. If so, did you try emerge-webrsync?

Elyahou,

What EXACTLY is failing? You are not giving any information we can work
with, so please supply FULL information with ALL relevant details.

Does 'emerge --sync' fail? This has nothing to do with HTTP proxies as
it's an rsync session

Does 'emerge <some package>' fail, and if so, what is the error message?
This might well be a proxy, so can you see gentoo.org in a browser?

alan

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
"Elyahou ITTAH"

2008/1/14, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org>:
On Monday 14 January 2008, Elyahou ITTAH wrote:

> It's in french but easy to understand.... My tunnel works, i use IRC
> throught it, but i don't know where to configure Portage to use it.

Do you also use http through it?

Regarding portage, it could be as easy as doing

# export http_proxy="name.of.your.proxy"

but without further info about your config (meaning: exact putty config,
and exact use you make of it, and from where), it's difficult to help.

Ok,

My Network have a Squid Proxy who allow only some ports like 80 443...

Putty is configurated to connect to a box i have in an other place, it allow to make a SSH Tunnel who create a socks proxy at localhost:8080. Putty listen to this port and send all the frames passing the 443 of the SQUID proxy to my exterior box. I wan't to configure Portage to use this SOCK proxy at localhost:8080

Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 AM
"Elyahou ITTAH"

What other information can i give ?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Monday 14 January 2008, Elyahou ITTAH wrote:

> Ok,
>
> My Network have a Squid Proxy who allow only some ports like 80 443...

Ok, so you should be able to use

# export http_proxy="proxyname or address"
# emerge-webrsync

To use the already existing proxy in your network. If you insist on using
your tunnel, read on.

> Putty is configurated to connect to a box i have in an other place, it
> allow to make a SSH Tunnel who create a socks proxy at localhost:8080.

So you're forwarding port 8080 on the putty (windows) box to port 1080 on
the remote box, where a SOCKS server is listening on that port, correct?

I'm not sure whether putty allows non-local connections to forwarded
ports by default, if this is not the case you'll need to enable that
option.

> Putty listen to this port and send all the frames passing the 443 of
> the SQUID proxy to my exterior box.

How do you do that?

> I wan't to configure Portage to
> use this SOCK proxy at localhost:8080

"localhost", IIUC, is a windows box, and portage is running on another
(linux, on the same network) box. So, at a minimum, you'll need to
use "a.b.c.d:8080" as a SOCKS server, where a.b.c.s is the IP address of
the windows putty box.

Assuming you have a SOCKS server at "a.b.c.d:8080" (albeit through a
tunnel, but the apps don't know that), then you need to use some
socksifying utility for emerge, since (AFAIK) it does not support SOCKS
out of the box. So, something like

# socksify emerge --sync

should work (though I have not tested it). socksify is part of
net-proxy/dante. Of course, you need to specify the SOCKS proxy at
a.b.c.d port 8080 in the /etc/socks/socks.conf configuration file (I
don't remember the exact syntax to do that right now, but it should be
quite intuitive).