-   -   v4l need tuning? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/368308-v4l-need-tuning.html)

Matt Harrison 05-08-2010 07:26 PM

v4l need tuning?

Hi List,

I got a capture card (4 port composite) ages ago, and I remember I had
it working perfectly.

I've just reinstalled it into a fresh gentoo box and connected one of
the cameras, and all I'm getting is noise. I know its a real image as
when I put my hand over the camera lens, the image goes black, still
distorted but black.

From what I've been able to tell from a bit of poking around, it seems
that the Hsync of the camera or card isn't set right and is causing this
distortion.

I can't give you the exact card model as I've lost all the paperwork,
but it does come up as a bt878 generic card. Originally I was having
timeouts but solved that with a pci slot change.

I've got almost no real knowledge of v4l so I'm pretty lost as to what I
should be looking at next.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Matt Harrison 05-08-2010 07:45 PM

v4l need tuning?

Actually I've just found the paperwork, it's an LMLBT44 from Linux Media
Labs. Their website isn't much help, it did point me to the module
arguments to use, so it's now no longer detected as a generic unknown
card. Unfortunately I'm still seeing the same issues.

Thanks

Matt Harrison 05-09-2010 10:53 PM

v4l need tuning?

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 08:45:57PM +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
> Actually I've just found the paperwork, it's an LMLBT44 from Linux Media
> Labs. Their website isn't much help, it did point me to the module
> arguments to use, so it's now no longer detected as a generic unknown
> card. Unfortunately I'm still seeing the same issues.
>
> Thanks

just for the archives, I've sorted it out thanks to the manufacturers. Their
documentations says to specify the following options to the bttv module:

options bttv cart=118,118,118,118

That got the card detected but didn't let me get a good picture. I contacted the
company and a guy responded very quickly. He said to try this:

options bttv card=118,118,118,118 pll=1,1,1,1

I was skeptical as always, but I tried it and voila :) Now everything is working
perfectly.

Hope this might help someone else one day.