Old 05-08-2010, 02:16 PM
claude angéloz

Default Boot gentoo with GTP Disk label

Hello,

I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label. I
can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.

I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools

- install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.

- a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
but actually no succesful...
but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...

I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for a
macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
support.

I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?

If anybody has an other idea. Or I must abandon the gpt disk label ?
Is there an equivalent refitr in OS x86 ?

Thanks
Best regards
Claude

Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Mick

On Saturday 08 May 2010 15:16:36 claude angéloz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
> reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
> partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label. I
> can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.
>
> I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools
>
> - install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.
>
> - a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
> but actually no succesful...
> but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...
>
> I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for a
> macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
> support.
>
> I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
> pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?
>
> If anybody has an other idea. Or I must abandon the gpt disk label ?
> Is there an equivalent refitr in OS x86 ?
>
> Thanks
> Best regards
> Claude

I do not have either an efi machine or a gpt disk to know for sure, but
perhaps the following two applications may be of help in creating a EFI
binary:

* sys-boot/mbr-gpt
Available versions:
~ 0.0.1 "~x86 ~amd64"
Homepage: http://aybabtu.com/mbr-gpt/

* sys-boot/gnu-efi
Available versions:
* 3.0a-r1 "ia64 x86"
~ 3.0e "~ia64 ~x86 ~amd64"
~ 3.0g "~amd64 ia64 ~x86"
~ 3.0i "~amd64 ~ia64 ~x86"
Homepage: http://developer.intel.com/technology/efi

Instructions for installing, booting using EFI systems are here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-
ia64.xml?style=printable&part=1&chap=2

HTH
Mick

Old 05-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, claude angéloz
<claude.angeloz@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
> reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
> partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label. I
> can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.
>
> I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools
>
> - install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.
>
> - a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
> but actually no succesful...
> but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...
>
> I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for a
> macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
> support.
>
> I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
> pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?
>
> If anybody has an other idea. Or I must abandon the gpt disk label ?
> Is there an equivalent refitr in OS x86 ?

I'm using GPT partitions and with the grub-0.97-r9 in Gentoo it has
patches to boot from GPT disks. I just did normal grub install as
usual and everything seems to work. I'm not using the partition label,
though, but only "root (hd0,0)"

Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Mick

On Monday 10 May 2010 17:01:02 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, claude angéloz
>
> <claude.angeloz@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
> > reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
> > partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label. I
> > can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.
> >
> > I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools
> >
> > - install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.
> >
> > - a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
> > but actually no succesful...
> > but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...
> >
> > I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for a
> > macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
> > support.
> >
> > I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
> > pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?
> >
> > If anybody has an other idea. Or I must abandon the gpt disk label ?
> > Is there an equivalent refitr in OS x86 ?
>
> I'm using GPT partitions and with the grub-0.97-r9 in Gentoo it has
> patches to boot from GPT disks. I just did normal grub install as
> usual and everything seems to work. I'm not using the partition label,
> though, but only "root (hd0,0)"

Interesting. Does grub install its bootloader into the MBR, or in a GPT boot
partition? I am not at all familiar with this new way of booting systems.
Mick

Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 10 May 2010 17:01:02 Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, claude angéloz
>>
>> <claude.angeloz@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
>> > reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
>> > partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label. I
>> > can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.
>> >
>> > I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools
>> >
>> > - install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.
>> >
>> > - a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
>> > but actually no succesful...
>> > but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...
>> >
>> > I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for a
>> > macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
>> > support.
>> >
>> > I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
>> > pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?
>> >
>> > If anybody has an other idea. Or I must abandon the gpt disk label ?
>> > Is there an equivalent refitr in OS x86 ?
>>
>> I'm using GPT partitions and with the grub-0.97-r9 in Gentoo it has
>> patches to boot from GPT disks. I just did normal grub install as
>> usual and everything seems to work. I'm not using the partition label,
>> though, but only "root (hd0,0)"
>
> Interesting. Does grub install its bootloader into the MBR, or in a GPT boot
> partition? I am not at all familiar with this new way of booting systems.

I think basically GPT is a replacement for MBR, everything basically
works the same way otherwise. GPT has features like redunancy, removes
limits of MBR (no primary/logical designation anymore, no 2TB limit,
etc). I think it has a somewhat MBR-compatible layout in the first
sector so non-GPT-aware things can still partially recognize it.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 21:47:41 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 10 May 2010 17:01:02 Paul Hartman wrote:

> >> I'm using GPT partitions and with the grub-0.97-r9 in Gentoo it has
> >> patches to boot from GPT disks. I just did normal grub install as
> >> usual and everything seems to work. I'm not using the partition label,
> >> though, but only "root (hd0,0)"
> >
> > Interesting. Does grub install its bootloader into the MBR, or in a GPT
> > boot partition? I am not at all familiar with this new way of booting
> > systems.
>
> I think basically GPT is a replacement for MBR, everything basically
> works the same way otherwise. GPT has features like redunancy, removes
> limits of MBR (no primary/logical designation anymore, no 2TB limit,
> etc). I think it has a somewhat MBR-compatible layout in the first
> sector so non-GPT-aware things can still partially recognize it.

Am I right to assume that your 1st partition on the 1st disk is the GPT boot
partition and therefore its 1st sector is what would on a conventional disk be
the MBR?

Mick

Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 May 2010 21:47:41 Paul Hartman wrote:

>> > Interesting. Does grub install its bootloader into the MBR, or in a GPT
>> > boot partition? I am not at all familiar with this new way of booting
>> > systems.
>>
>> I think basically GPT is a replacement for MBR, everything basically
>> works the same way otherwise. GPT has features like redunancy, removes
>> limits of MBR (no primary/logical designation anymore, no 2TB limit,
>> etc). I think it has a somewhat MBR-compatible layout in the first
>> sector so non-GPT-aware things can still partially recognize it.
>
> Am I right to assume that your 1st partition on the 1st disk is the GPT boot
> partition and therefore its 1st sector is what would on a conventional disk be
> the MBR?

From the standpoint of the fake MBR table, I think you are correct. To
non-GPT-aware utils it'll look like GPT is a partition of some type
but when using GPT-compatible things that is completely transparent.
Wikipedia has a good description of how it all works under the hood,
check out the LBA-0 section of the article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

From a normal user's perspective, creating the partitions and
installing grub was no different than with MBR, only I told parted to
great GPT instead of MBR partition table on my new disks. Enabled EFI
in kernel, used Gentoo's version of grub which has the GPT patches
included, and everything just worked. Maybe I was lucky?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
walt

I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label. I
can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.

I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools

- install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.

- a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
but actually no succesful...
but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...

I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for a
macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
support.

I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?

I guarantee that some smart geek here will know how to do it, though you
may need to search around for the appropriate forum:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/

BTW, why do you want to use gpt on a laptop?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Stroller

I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) ...
I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?

I guarantee that some smart geek here will know how to do it, though
you

may need to search around for the appropriate forum:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/

BTW, why do you want to use gpt on a laptop?

I assumed it was a MacBook or a Hackintosh.

Stroller.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Mick

On Thursday 13 May 2010 22:08:44 Stroller wrote:
> On 12 May 2010, at 23:22, walt wrote:
> > On 05/08/2010 07:16 AM, claude angéloz wrote:
> >> I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) ...
> >> I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
> >> pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?
> >
> > I guarantee that some smart geek here will know how to do it, though
> > you
> > may need to search around for the appropriate forum:
> >
> > http://www.boot-land.net/forums/
> >
> > BTW, why do you want to use gpt on a laptop?
>
> I assumed it was a MacBook or a Hackintosh.

I'm sure I've seen a Sony laptop running Vista that had an EFI boot. I assume
that this means it also had a GPT partition system?

Mick