Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 PM
walt

Default Boot gentoo with GTP Disk label

On 05/13/2010 03:12 PM, Mick wrote:

On Thursday 13 May 2010 22:08:44 Stroller wrote:

On 12 May 2010, at 23:22, walt wrote:

On 05/08/2010 07:16 AM, claude angéloz wrote:

I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) ...
I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?

I guarantee that some smart geek here will know how to do it, though
you
may need to search around for the appropriate forum:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/

BTW, why do you want to use gpt on a laptop?

I assumed it was a MacBook or a Hackintosh.

I'm sure I've seen a Sony laptop running Vista that had an EFI boot. I assume
that this means it also had a GPT partition system?

Hm. The major benefit of GPT (IIUC) is support for >2TB partitions,

AFAIK most laptops don't (yet) have 2TB disks, which is why Vista is a poor
choice for laptops. Vista needs most of a terabyte after installing all the
bug fixes and service packs -- and then you might want to consider installing
some programs. It adds up fast!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-05-13 7:21 PM, walt wrote:
> AFAIK most laptops don't (yet) have 2TB disks, which is why Vista is
> a poor choice for laptops. Vista needs most of a terabyte after
> installing all the bug fixes and service packs

Ok, either you are joking (but the wording doesn't make that very
clear), or you are just one of those antimicrosoft idiot/trolls. If you
were joking, then obviously the latter doesn't apply to you, though you
might want to make the joke a little more evident...

A fully patched Vista/Windows7 system might require as much as 7-8+ GB,
which is, what... about .9% of a Terabyte?

I'm not saying that 8GB is not ridiculously high for a core OS install,
of course it is...

Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 14 May 2010 07:34:49 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:

> > AFAIK most laptops don't (yet) have 2TB disks, which is why Vista is
> > a poor choice for laptops. Vista needs most of a terabyte after
> > installing all the bug fixes and service packs
>
> Ok, either you are joking (but the wording doesn't make that very
> clear), or you are just one of those antimicrosoft idiot/trolls. If you
> were joking, then obviously the latter doesn't apply to you, though you
> might want to make the joke a little more evident...

Sarcasm and irony don't work if you have to explain them.

--
Neil Bothwick

Does fuzzy logic tickle?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-05-14 8:23 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 07:34:49 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>> AFAIK most laptops don't (yet) have 2TB disks, which is why Vista is
>>> a poor choice for laptops. Vista needs most of a terabyte after
>>> installing all the bug fixes and service packs

>> Ok, either you are joking (but the wording doesn't make that very
>> clear), or you are just one of those antimicrosoft idiot/trolls. If you
>> were joking, then obviously the latter doesn't apply to you, though you
>> might want to make the joke a little more evident...

> Sarcasm and irony don't work if you have to explain them.

It wasn't worded that way - as written, it was just plain dumb.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:58 PM
walt

AFAIK most laptops don't (yet) have 2TB disks, which is why Vista is
a poor choice for laptops. Vista needs most of a terabyte after
installing all the bug fixes and service packs

Ok, either you are joking (but the wording doesn't make that very
clear), or you are just one of those antimicrosoft idiot/trolls. If you
were joking, then obviously the latter doesn't apply to you, though you
might want to make the joke a little more evident...

Sarcasm and irony don't work if you have to explain them.

It wasn't worded that way - as written, it was just plain dumb.

As released, Vista was just plain crap. You're right, though, I let
my anger overwhelm my sense of humor when I wrote that, and it came
across badly. I'll try to do better next time.