Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   no mouse nor keyboard on X (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/368139-no-mouse-nor-keyboard-x.html)

Francisco Ares 05-08-2010 12:48 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
Hi, guys,

After quite a long update list of packages (100+) and a reboot, I could not work in any window or desktop manager I have installed.

I rebooted (the ACPI power switch worked fine) and managed to get interactive action during the init scripts and did not allowed "xdm" to start.


Then I was able to use normaly the keyboard and mouse ("gpm"). Forced reinstall of xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xorg-cf-files, xdm, kdm (also, in my case, nvidia-drivers) and tryed to use Window Maker - no mouse movements, although the pointer was there, and no visible keyboard effect.


Any hints on how to get things back?

Thanks
Francisco
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Alan McKinnon 05-08-2010 12:50 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
On Saturday 08 May 2010 14:48:13 Francisco Ares wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>
> After quite a long update list of packages (100+) and a reboot, I could not
> work in any window or desktop manager I have installed.
>
> I rebooted (the ACPI power switch worked fine) and managed to get
> interactive action during the init scripts and did not allowed "xdm" to
> start.
>
> Then I was able to use normaly the keyboard and mouse ("gpm"). Forced
> reinstall of xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xorg-cf-files, xdm, kdm (also, in
> my case, nvidia-drivers) and tryed to use Window Maker - no mouse
> movements, although the pointer was there, and no visible keyboard effect.
>
> Any hints on how to get things back?

What version of xorg-server?
It gives an elog, did you read it?
What input driver?
If you upgraded to xorg-server-1.8, did you disable hal and enable udev?
Are you using the evdev driver?


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Dale 05-08-2010 01:51 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
Francisco Ares wrote:

Hi, guys,

After quite a long update list of packages (100+) and a reboot, I
could not work in any window or desktop manager I have installed.


I rebooted (the ACPI power switch worked fine) and managed to get
interactive action during the init scripts and did not allowed "xdm"
to start.


Then I was able to use normaly the keyboard and mouse ("gpm"). Forced
reinstall of xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xorg-cf-files, xdm, kdm (also,
in my case, nvidia-drivers) and tryed to use Window Maker - no mouse
movements, although the pointer was there, and no visible keyboard effect.


Any hints on how to get things back?

Thanks
Francisco

--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw


I just went through the same thing. I don't think xorg got updated but
my X wouldn't start at all. This may help you as it did me:


emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)

Hope this helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Francisco Ares 05-08-2010 02:01 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
On 5/8/10, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 08 May 2010 14:48:13 Francisco Ares wrote:
>> Hi, guys,
>>
>> After quite a long update list of packages (100+) and a reboot, I could
>> not
>> work in any window or desktop manager I have installed.
>>
>> I rebooted (the ACPI power switch worked fine) and managed to get
>> interactive action during the init scripts and did not allowed "xdm" to
>> start.
>>
>> Then I was able to use normaly the keyboard and mouse ("gpm"). Forced
>> reinstall of xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xorg-cf-files, xdm, kdm (also, in
>> my case, nvidia-drivers) and tryed to use Window Maker - no mouse
>> movements, although the pointer was there, and no visible keyboard effect.
>>
>> Any hints on how to get things back?
>
> What version of xorg-server?
> It gives an elog, did you read it?
> What input driver?
> If you upgraded to xorg-server-1.8, did you disable hal and enable udev?
> Are you using the evdev driver?
>
>
> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>

Yep, using evdev, and that seems to be the issue: there are log file
lines complaining about different versions:

(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.5, module version = 2.3.2
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
(EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match server's version (7)

installed:
- xorg-drivers-1.7
- xorg-server-1.7.6
- xorg-x11-7.4-r1
- xorg-cf-files-1.0.3

I have just re-emerged them all, with no results.

Thanks
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Alan McKinnon 05-08-2010 02:32 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
On Saturday 08 May 2010 16:01:18 Francisco Ares wrote:
> On 5/8/10, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 May 2010 14:48:13 Francisco Ares wrote:
> >> Hi, guys,
> >>
> >> After quite a long update list of packages (100+) and a reboot, I could
> >> not
> >> work in any window or desktop manager I have installed.
> >>
> >> I rebooted (the ACPI power switch worked fine) and managed to get
> >> interactive action during the init scripts and did not allowed "xdm" to
> >> start.
> >>
> >> Then I was able to use normaly the keyboard and mouse ("gpm"). Forced
> >> reinstall of xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xorg-cf-files, xdm, kdm (also,
> >> in my case, nvidia-drivers) and tryed to use Window Maker - no mouse
> >> movements, although the pointer was there, and no visible keyboard
> >> effect.
> >>
> >> Any hints on how to get things back?
> >
> > What version of xorg-server?
> > It gives an elog, did you read it?
> > What input driver?
> > If you upgraded to xorg-server-1.8, did you disable hal and enable udev?
> > Are you using the evdev driver?
> >
> >
> > --
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> Yep, using evdev, and that seems to be the issue: there are log file
> lines complaining about different versions:
>
> (II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 1.6.5, module version = 2.3.2
> Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
> (EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match server's version (7)
>
> installed:
> - xorg-drivers-1.7
> - xorg-server-1.7.6
> - xorg-x11-7.4-r1
> - xorg-cf-files-1.0.3

Did you explicitly remerge the various drivers (video, evdev, etc).

xorg-drivers is just a meta package and won't remerge individual drivers
unless the version number changes. It look to me like you have an evdev driver
built against an earlier X server

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Francisco Ares 05-08-2010 02:33 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Francisco Ares wrote:


Hi, guys,



After quite a long update list of packages (100+) and a reboot, I could not work in any window or desktop manager I have installed.



I rebooted (the ACPI power switch worked fine) and managed to get interactive action during the init scripts and did not allowed "xdm" to start.



Then I was able to use normaly the keyboard and mouse ("gpm"). Forced reinstall of xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xorg-cf-files, xdm, kdm (also, in my case, nvidia-drivers) and tryed to use Window Maker - no mouse movements, although the pointer was there, and no visible keyboard effect.




Any hints on how to get things back?



Thanks

Francisco



--

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw





I just went through the same thing. *I don't think xorg got updated but my X wouldn't start at all. *This may help you as it did me:



emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)



Hope this helps.



Dale



:-) *:-)




Thanks, Alan and Dale, now I am writing this in Firefox using a webmail account.

That's why I love Linux: great tools and lots of helpful people around.

Thanks again
Francisco


--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

walt 05-08-2010 03:08 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
On 05/08/2010 07:01 AM, Francisco Ares wrote:



Yep, using evdev, and that seems to be the issue: there are log file
lines complaining about different versions:

(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.5, module version = 2.3.2
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
(EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match server's version (7)


That last line means you need to recompile xf86-input-evdev.

Graham Murray 05-08-2010 04:04 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> xorg-drivers is just a meta package and won't remerge individual drivers
> unless the version number changes. It look to me like you have an evdev driver
> built against an earlier X server

Does anyone else think it would be useful for emerge to have a switch to
make it re-emerge all of the individual packages making up a
meta-package? 'emerge metapackage' does not do enough and 'emerge -e
metapackage' will rebuild too much.Either that or a utility to split a
meta-package into its constituent parts, so you could have something
like 'emerge $(qsplit xorg-drivers)'. Though in the case of xorg-drivers
the recommended 'emerge $(qlist -IC xorg-drivers/)' works just as well,
but this is just pure luck as the required packages are in a single
category which contains no other packages.

Alan McKinnon 05-08-2010 08:56 PM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
On Saturday 08 May 2010 18:04:42 Graham Murray wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
> > xorg-drivers is just a meta package and won't remerge individual drivers
> > unless the version number changes. It look to me like you have an evdev
> > driver built against an earlier X server
>
> Does anyone else think it would be useful for emerge to have a switch to
> make it re-emerge all of the individual packages making up a
> meta-package? 'emerge metapackage' does not do enough and 'emerge -e
> metapackage' will rebuild too much.Either that or a utility to split a
> meta-package into its constituent parts, so you could have something
> like 'emerge $(qsplit xorg-drivers)'. Though in the case of xorg-drivers
> the recommended 'emerge $(qlist -IC xorg-drivers/)' works just as well,
> but this is just pure luck as the required packages are in a single
> category which contains no other packages.

You have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that into portage.

A major concern of the devs is getting portage to rebuild *less* stuff and to
fix ebuilds yo rebuild *less* stuff and fix devs who don't grok it.

You are proposing the opposite.

I can predict the response you will get if you file a bug:

"Read the elog message"

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Dale 05-09-2010 09:19 AM

no mouse nor keyboard on X
 
Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Saturday 08 May 2010 18:04:42 Graham Murray wrote:


Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:


xorg-drivers is just a meta package and won't remerge individual drivers
unless the version number changes. It look to me like you have an evdev
driver built against an earlier X server


Does anyone else think it would be useful for emerge to have a switch to
make it re-emerge all of the individual packages making up a
meta-package? 'emerge metapackage' does not do enough and 'emerge -e
metapackage' will rebuild too much.Either that or a utility to split a
meta-package into its constituent parts, so you could have something
like 'emerge $(qsplit xorg-drivers)'. Though in the case of xorg-drivers
the recommended 'emerge $(qlist -IC xorg-drivers/)' works just as well,
but this is just pure luck as the required packages are in a single
category which contains no other packages.


You have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that into portage.

A major concern of the devs is getting portage to rebuild *less* stuff and to
fix ebuilds yo rebuild *less* stuff and fix devs who don't grok it.

You are proposing the opposite.

I can predict the response you will get if you file a bug:

"Read the elog message"




You are right. This has been discussed a few times on -dev and
basically, it ain't going to happen. I think it is a good idea myself
since they have to be re-emerged for them to work anyway. What
difference does it make if portage does it for us or we do it manually,
after finding that command to find out which ones to rebuild.


Dale

:-) :-)


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.