Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Neil Bothwick

Default no mouse nor keyboard on X

On Sun, 09 May 2010 04:19:20 -0500, Dale wrote:

> You are right. This has been discussed a few times on -dev and
> basically, it ain't going to happen. I think it is a good idea myself
> since they have to be re-emerged for them to work anyway. What
> difference does it make if portage does it for us or we do it manually,
> after finding that command to find out which ones to rebuild.

This could be solved with sets, a @need-rebuild set similar to
@preserved-rebuild.

Sets also deal with the original suggestion, since re-emerging a set
rebuild all the components of the set, although not their dependencies,
unlike rebuilding a meta-package. Although this still can't do what was
asked for because a set will contain apps and not the libs they depend on.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'll never forget the 1st time I ran Windows, but I'm trying...

Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

You are right. This has been discussed a few times on -dev and
basically, it ain't going to happen. I think it is a good idea myself
since they have to be re-emerged for them to work anyway. What
difference does it make if portage does it for us or we do it manually,
after finding that command to find out which ones to rebuild.

This could be solved with sets, a @need-rebuild set similar to
@preserved-rebuild.

Sets also deal with the original suggestion, since re-emerging a set
rebuild all the components of the set, although not their dependencies,
unlike rebuilding a meta-package. Although this still can't do what was
asked for because a set will contain apps and not the libs they depend on.

I actually created a xorg-drivers set for this. At least I have
something easier to type in rather than that somewhat small line of
chicken scratch. lol

I just hate trying to start X after a upgrade, it not starting and me
usually with no clue as to why. I ran into this the other day and I
don't think xorg was even updated. Still not sure why it failed but
rebuilding those got it working again.

Dale

:-) :-)