-   -   Loosing key presses since upgrade to xorg-server-1.7.6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/367443-loosing-key-presses-since-upgrade-xorg-server-1-7-6-a.html)

Remy Blank 05-06-2010 11:09 PM

Loosing key presses since upgrade to xorg-server-1.7.6

I upgraded xorg-server to 1.7.6 (and the few associated packages) a few
days ago, and since then I seem to spuriously loose some key presses
when typing fast. This only happens in X, not on the console. The box is
a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop.

I have already re-emerged all necessary drivers (xf86-input-keyboard in
particular, I'm not using evdev), and there were no other upgrades
during that time. But no success.

I'm using xf86-video-intel-2.11.0. I have tried downgrading to
2.10.0-r1, which I was using with xorg-server-1.6.5. Still no success.

This is extremely annoying. Am I the only one seeing this? Any ideas how
I could solve the issue, short of downgrading xorg-server, which I would
like to avoid?

-- Remy

Grant Edwards 05-07-2010 01:42 AM

On 2010-05-06, Remy Blank <remy.blank@pobox.com> wrote:

> I upgraded xorg-server to 1.7.6 (and the few associated packages) a few
> days ago, and since then I seem to spuriously loose some key presses
> when typing fast. This only happens in X, not on the console. The box is
> a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop.
[...]

> This is extremely annoying. Am I the only one seeing this? Any ideas how
> I could solve the issue, short of downgrading xorg-server, which I would
> like to avoid?

I've been seeing this on all of my Gentoo boxes since xorg 1.6 (it's
been almost a year now). But, it only happens when a box is heavily
loaded (it doesn't matter how fast I type).

Two of the systems are NVidia, one uses ATI. Two are desktops, one is
a laptop. One has dual cards and three displays, the others have
single cards/displays.

I've pretty much given up on it ever getting fixed. :/

--
Grant

Remy Blank 05-07-2010 01:59 PM

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> evdev?

Right, I was trying to avoid that. But you were probably right. I have
upgraded to xorg-server-1.8 and switched to evdev for the keyboard and
mouse, with udev autodetection. This seems to have solved the issue.

Of course, now we'll never know if switching to evdev solved it, or if
it was xorg-server-1.8. But I didn't feel like learning the hal-style
configuration, only to restart from scratch with udev.

Anyway, thanks for the hint.

-- Remy