-   -   start-stop-daemon: how to set directory? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/367381-start-stop-daemon-how-set-directory.html)

Grant Edwards 05-06-2010 08:27 PM

start-stop-daemon: how to set directory?

I'm writing an init script for a daemon that needs to be started in a
particular directory, and I can't figure out how to do that with
start-stop-daemon.

It always seems to start the daemon in '/' regardless of the current
working directory when start-stop-daemon is invoked.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Could I have a drug
at overdose?

Albert Hopkins 05-07-2010 12:03 AM

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 20:27 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I'm writing an init script for a daemon that needs to be started in a
> particular directory, and I can't figure out how to do that with
> start-stop-daemon.
>
> It always seems to start the daemon in '/' regardless of the current
> working directory when start-stop-daemon is invoked.

start-stop-daemon has a man page that explains it's options, including:

-d, --chdir path
chdir to this directory before starting the daemon.

Grant Edwards 05-07-2010 01:49 AM

On 2010-05-07, Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 20:27 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I'm writing an init script for a daemon that needs to be started in a
>> particular directory, and I can't figure out how to do that with
>> start-stop-daemon.
>>
>> It always seems to start the daemon in '/' regardless of the current
>> working directory when start-stop-daemon is invoked.
>
> start-stop-daemon has a man page that explains it's options,

Yes, I know.

> including:
>
> -d, --chdir path
> chdir to this directory before starting the daemon.

That must be a recent addition, because it's not on my man page from
baselayout 1.12.13 (the most recent stable version).

I don't think I'll switch to an unstable baselayout just yet.

Thanks anyway.

--
Grant